Remember your first pint?

Texas

Originally posted by Texas

Greybeard, did these No1's have gold or silver paper around the neck? I seem to remember another dark beer, in a rather posh bottle, a bit bigger than the Barley Wine/No1 size, and that was strong too. I really shall have to look at what I'm drinking, even at this late date. The Bass No2 sounds good, if it's still on offer.

The Tennants [now Whitbread I think] Gold Label has gold foil round the neck. Can't remember if the Bass products did. I believe the Bass No 2 was discontinued about twenty years ago, not sure about the No 1 barley wine, that's probably gone too. :(

I vaguely remember a half-pint bottle with silver foil, McKewan's Scottish something or other ? This would be late 50s.

MY FIRST DRINK OR SHOULD I SAY DRINKS .WAS AFTER GETTING PAID £ 2 15. SHILLING. AFTER BUYING 10.PASSING CLOUD. ON MIDDLEWOOD ROAD. US CADET NURSES HEADED FOR THE NELSQN WITH SAM AND LILL. THE TURN I WAS 16TEEN AT THE TIME. SOME HOW I ENDED UP IN THE LADIES LOO. UPSIDE DOWN. THE NEXT THING I WAS OUTSIDE KITSON CAFE. LATER BECAME BRA``BBMALLS SCRAP ANBD GOLD ROOM

Can't remember my first, but remember going into a pub at Ford. My mate had heard someone on about the fact that Barley wine was the thing to drink. Not having much cash on him , he asked the landlord "how much is barley wine ?" The landlord told him a price, to which he replied,"is that for a pint, or half ?". The landlord looked up and said, "Sonny, when you are old enough I will tell you, now get out !"

Yes Trevor, you stopped us all getting served that day, you pillock.

first pint - Wednesday night disco in the 'Parson Cross Hotel' - about 15 or so, me, my girlfriend (who was younger) , her two big brothers. Pint of Trophy - tasted like ****e....crappy music, all the local headcases present - hiding behind the pillors trying to look '18' :)

The first pint I had in a pub was up Rivelin,I don't remember the name of the pub but the landlord must have been secure in thinking the cops would not come .

This would be 55 or 56 I must have looked all of 14 ,when I was in fact 16.I did not begine to shave till 19.

I remember being on the bus and holding out my hand with a sixpence in it and saying "Bridge St" to the conducter He would give me a childs ticket.

I went to a bar here in Canada.The drinking age was 19.

I was 28 and they asked for I.D..

Now everything is falling apart.

Such is life

Mine was aged 15 in the New Inn on Hollinsend Road ... sunday night with dad who got me a pint & said if police come in , its his pint & I 've got this coke ..... which always went flat cos it never got touched. 2 pints & I'd had "enough" Tasted better than it does now.... or is that just my age? Double Diamond was a nice drink... which I had the occasional one.

There seemed to be a few of us nipping in and out of the Nelson in the late '50's !

I got nicked in there for Drinking Under Age , when I was 17 ,

in 1959 and I'd been boozing in Town for about 2 years then !

I walked in , about 7 p.m one weekday night and it was practically empty. Someone I knew , a bit of a villain , was sitting at one of the tables with a couple of other villainous-looking blokes.I got a drink , went over to the table but the two new , "villains " were the dreaded, "Law" !

They were a bit stricter in those days !

Archived