Remember your first pint?

Texas

Mine was in the Montgomery just off Queens Rd. I think it was Tetleys and I got nicked for under age drinking.

I did however aquire quite a taste for bitter and have over many years of downing it become a real ale enthusiast

My first pint was in The Pheasant at Lane top, I was 18 :wow: Yes folks 18 :o

T'was me 18th Birthday and I knew me cousin went in on Thursday nights, so I went up for a few freebies :hihi:

I think we got AB that night and I stumbled out around 1sh, wobbling about walking thru Longley park.. Ah those were the days........

I’ve never looked my age.....Until now :roll:

I was getting on the bus for 20p up until 1996-7ish :D

First pint was in the "courtyard" bar of the Stonehouse when I was 15 in 1970.

Double Diamond for 1s 10d. I was with a group of lads a year or two older than me on our way to see Pink Floyd at the City Hall.

I was over 6ft tall by then (and been shaving since age 13) so usually didn't have any trouble as passing myself off as a few years older - although on the other hand I had trouble trying to get half fares on buses from being about 13.

At a railway station on the frozen North East coast - early sixties, I was 14, the beer was less than a shilling a pint (Strongarm) and I can still taste it's lovely bitter taste now. No modern beer comes close to that illicit brew.

• 2 weeks later...
A pint of barley wine! blimey i'm impressed.

Is that the stuff in the little bottles? potent stuff but disgusting,

As was the good old Watneys Red Barrel no party would be without a few party seven cans of the stuff.

NEVER RECALL BARLEY WINE ON DRAUGHT

It was my 15th and the pub was the Elephant Inn at the corner of Fitzallan Square and Norfolk Street a mate and myself were going to the pics and the doors didn't open till 6pm so we went in there for a pint it was a John Smiths pub when they closed that pub the landlord finished up taking the Magpie on Lowedges Rd.

When I first went in the elephant there was spit and sawdust spittoons at your feet as you stood at the bar

It was either a pint of Carling in Marples or a 99p pint of Teachers Bitter in the Bankers.

It was the same night and senality is now setting in so I don't remember which way we went though town. :suspect:

I got served in the bankers from being about 16 and a half to 17 and three quaters then they ID'd me 3 months before I turned 18 - after I'd been in there a couple of hours.

Ponting out they had been serving me since I was 16 didn't do me any favours suprisingly..............

Now I am having a baby of my own I will tan its ar*es if it pulls any of the stunts I did obv :D

I too was a Marples girl ! 1982 - 1990 :) Lager and lime to start with (just half and made it last all night) - then progressed onto lager and then if someone else was buying - then it was brandy and babycham!!!

Good night out in the Marples then - music on every night - with Mick the P**** and his mobile D**** we used to call him. ah the good old days

NEVER RECALL BARLEY WINE ON DRAUGHT

Probably not Arthur. However, when I worked in Preston I found Boddingtons Winterbrew which was the same strength (9% ABV) as barley wine and was available in half pint measures only. A chap I worked with tried downing 6 halves in the lunch hour. His face became somewhat luminous in the afternoon and he didn't try it again.

Archived