Be Strong, Be Wrong

I am a Communist.

I feel so much better now.

From Zizek...

if liberal-democratic capitalism obviously works better than all known alternatives, if liberal democratic capitalism is, if not the best, then at least the least worst form of society, why do we not simply resign ourselves to it in a mature way, even accept it wholeheartedly?

I can only answer that I don't feel it is the best or the least worst.

I am a Communist.

I feel so much better now.

From Zizek...

if liberal-democratic capitalism obviously works better than all known alternatives, if liberal democratic capitalism is, if not the best, then at least the least worst form of society, why do we not simply resign ourselves to it in a mature way, even accept it wholeheartedly?

I can only answer that I don't feel it is the best or the least worst.

It is good to say what you think! ....even if other people do not agree with you. I would say what I think too, but they would ban me here because they do not allow freedom of speech.:suspect:

It is good to say what you think! ....even if other people do not agree with you. I would say what I think too, but they would ban me here because they do not allow freedom of speech.:suspect:

Is there any particular reason that they should, given that this is a privately owned forum? Is it not rather more sensible that the private owner can set whatever rules he wishes?

I'm interested in what point of view incantation could be so nervous to share?

Not nervous at all. I am merely engaged in a project and someone I knew at uni some years ago advised me to visit this forum. They tell me that is a good example of how opinions can be stifled by profit lusting individuals.

I am a Communist.

You can't just be a plain old commie, what variety of Pinko are you exactly?

Leninist, Trotskyist, Maoist, Anarchist, Christian, People's Front of Judea, Luxemburgist, Spartacist, Pan-African, Gay, Judean People's Front?

I can't think of many opinions that you aren't actually permitted to express. Hate filled speech would be an exception, but then that's pretty much the law now, not just a rule of SF.

Why don't you try it incantation and see if your thread is removed. (Not hate filled speech, whatever your verboten topic is.)

Well firstly, as already said, there is no such thing as freedom of speech when it comes to privately owned forums. I don't know where you would get the idea from that privately owned forums have to have freedom of speech, because they don't.

Secondly, it wasn't your mate now was it, much more likely you were banned.

Thirdly, a few ads on a site (which is the only possible thing you can be referring to with "profit lusting") does not mean they are making a profit - i would be surprised if it made much more than covering the costs of hosting the forum, most don't.

Fourthly, if you had bothered to read through some of the threads, you can see that the left, the right, liberterians, authoritarians, religious people, atheists, vegetarians, meat eaters - all have posted on this forum and had strong disagreements and arguments with each other, but have somehow managed to not have posts removed - pretty much the only time you have stuff removed is if you are offensive to other members (which incidentally is in the terms and conditions of using the forums, and which you agree to by registering) or as in recent cases putting posts that possibly identified where the bulger killers were/had been living (which breaks the injunction placed on disclosure and could lead to SF being prosecuted), and things like that.

WOW.....you got it so wrong! My friend is right!

I got what wrong?

You believe you have an expectation of freedom of speech on privately owned forums?

NO, much more than that. You have an idea in your head about who I am. I am not anyone that you know. I am engaged in a post graduate thesis regarding modern day communications and their effect upon freedom of speech. Someone I taught was at uni with some years ago said that I should try this forum. He said that it was politically motivated and thus stifled freedom of speech. That is all.

Archived