Mephedrone - what do you think?

According to BBC there has been only one confirmed death in 2008.

If it's banned it's just the biggest knee jerk reaction I've ever seen, I bet it will be, should find out within a fortnight.

With the election coming up they'll want to be seen to be doing something.

I have to say the effects of mephedrone don't sound that great. People report being awake for around 48 hours (a bit like crystal meth), and apparently you can't get an erection. One of the things I liked about ecstasy was that it made me feel horny and I could do something about it. It does sound from some user experiences that it can be addictive as well, which ecstasy isn't.

That said, the contradictory attitudes between drugs like mephedrone and alcohol are risible. Making profits for the alcohol industry and in many cases ruining the lives of those around you, including your kids, is apparently far better than the odd teenager checking out 'cos they threw caution to the wind.

That said, the contradictory attitudes between drugs like mephedrone and alcohol are risible. Making profits for the alcohol industry and in many cases ruining the lives of those around you, including your kids, is apparently far better than the odd teenager checking out 'cos they threw caution to the wind.

It just proves that removing prohibition makes it no safer than when it's illegal.

According to BBC there has been only one confirmed death in 2008.

These two were drinking, taking methadone and mephedrone. Does anyone seriously think this was their first time experience and that they have not taken other substances.

They are not victims, they voluntarily decided to subject their bodies to the dangers of drink and drugs. Rather like if I decided to run back and forth across the M1 at some point I'm going to get splattered.

Or simply teenage boys wanting to get wasted? I don't think anyone should put a young kid that died from taking too may pills/drinking too much beer down like that... We don't know anything about their backgrounds or lives... Lot's of people get out of it at weekends, it's gone on for many moons and will continue to do so - but most people also wake up again the day after...

This kills two people and people can't shut up about it, asking whether or not it should be banned?

100 people have died today because of alcohol, 100 people will die tomorrow, and the day after.

100 a day, out of 55 million drinkers - that's a constant rate of attrition of about six thousandths of one percent. When it comes to whether I have a drink right now, I can look at that as an average figure, quickly review ten thousand years of human alcohol use and abuse, and calmly pour myself another armangac knowing my personal risk of dying within the next 24 hours is considerably less than 0.005%.

However, if it comes to whether I have some mephedrone right now, there's no data upon which to base a decision. There are no animal studies, no in vitro toxicological information, virtually nothing.

'My friend says snorting it is best, I'm not so sure....', 'I'm asthmatic', 'I'm taking anti-depressants'.

What do you personally think my personal chances of dying as a result are? Any ballpark estimate will do.

Whatever figure you come up with, you don't really have any basis for it at all, could be high, could be low. I could have a 60% chance of respiratory failure, or only a 0.002% chance of serotonin toxidrome.

But of course Mephedrone will be banned because of the idiots in government and the idiot public who can't seem to put things into perspective.

Don't think the public are idiots, unless they start playing fast and loose with experimental, untested, industrially produced drugs.

Many reports of 4-methylmethcathinone use involve redosing ("boosting" / "bumping") multiple times. Users sometimes mix oral and insufflated, taking some 4-methylmethcathinone orally, then insufflating some, then taking more orally. Because of the common desire to recapture the pleasurable initial high, redoses are sometimes higher than the initial dose or are spaced closely together in time. Many users report having difficulty not redosing after using a strong dose if more 4-methylmethcathinone is available when they are starting to come down. Experience reports in which users find themselves unexpectedly consuming a gram or more of 4-methymethcathinone are common

Information is important for safety.

I hope that puts things into perspective.

Just goes to show that if people want to get high they WILL get high no matter what. All the government are doing here is giving the drug to the black market for them to sell and make profit (and most likely at a high price for the end consumer and cut with other substances)

I can see in about 10 years time (if the government hasnt done a total u-turn on drugs and legalised them all) people will be sniffing glue and stuff made with other houshold products just to get a buzz.

Making drugs illegal DOESNT work. Just look at the US and Prohibition

i have yet to decide what my informed opinion is...but this article makes for interesting reading.

i have to admit that im leaning towards the opinion that no matter whether something is banned or not...there will always be those who wish to experiment and no amount of legislation will deter them from doing so or those who can make some money by supplying them with the means.

x

I thought the above post contained enough clear sarcasm to make all but the village idiot realise i was against banning it.
Sarcasm doesn't translate well on the internet unless you're using the correct smiley or a </sarcasm> tag. :P

As for mephedrone, too little is known about the drug and its effects for us to ban it in a knee jerk reaction as its a rather newly synthesised substance, only appearing at its earliest in 2007.

http://www.p2002.sgul.ac.uk/newsletters/n2.php

Thorough research needs to be conducted into this drug and its effects before any decision should be made.

Another over reaction by the media no one actually knows if methedrone actually had anything to do with their deaths yet.

They now also have informed thousands of people who probably didnt know about this drug that it exists and is currently legal so more will be taking it than before.

I do believe drugs should be legalised so they can be sensibly controlled and not left to the drug cartels.

Archived