Mephedrone - what do you think?

BBC News website

"Mr Oliver said it would be weeks before toxicology tests could determine the cause the the teenagers' deaths and whether mephedrone was a contributory factor."

... long after MP's and news editors of all persuasions have made it impossible to have any chance of an informed debate with a rational, proportional response.

Heck, if they get their skates on they might have it banned before the toxicology reports are through.

I think it should be banned as should all so called 'legal highs'.

Why do you think legal highs should be banned Sid?

Are you including alcohol on that list?

Shops that sell them should be closed down and would not be missed.

They obviously would be missed - by the people that shop there and the people who own them and work there.

Looks like an interesting precursor to me, I'd expect some stimulant effects just by looking at its structure, but it isn't something I'd be too bothered to try, there's not much to it. I'll stick with ecstasy and qat, and I seldom use either of them. Now, the alcohol and methadone, I'd be more tempted, yet they are more dangerous.

Already there is better legal alternatives to mephedrone, its a poor man's drug, and I can't see why its being made a fuss of? Them lads have most likely died from respiratory depression, a dose of mephedrone would probably have been beneficial when they have slowed their breathing rate down to a stop!

Just making it illegal isn't going to stop druggies taking it. All it does is put the price up and then they have to rob and burgle to get the money to buy it. Keep it cheap.

Any body who ingests a product clearly labelled "Not for consumption, plant food only"

doesn't get my sympathy, I'm afraid.

If MKat is banned .. another thing will come along to replace it ...

It sounds a pretty rough drug, and I worry about the cheapness as that will encourage people to take it more regularly rather than just a "party drug".

Drugs of all kind are always going to be around. Parents should educate their children on this as much as unprotected sex.

I think most of the MKat deaths have involved mixing it with other substances for a better/differt "high" .

Sensible debate and experiences of users welcome.

Never used it.

Since the drug that has been used for thousands of years and has been proven time and time again to be safe is prohibited, it doesn't come as any surprise that people try alternatives.

The root problem here is (as usual) the backwards, hypocritical and unjustified drugs laws we have in this country.

Archived