Mephedrone - what do you think?

It just proves that removing prohibition makes it no safer than when it's illegal.

No it doesn't because there is no guidance for it's use like there are for legal recreational drugs. Also, this substance was not regulated in the same way legal drugs are (despite not being illegal)

Not to mention the wisdom you recieve from others who know how to use said drugs responsibly. We all know drinking a bottle or two of whiskey will make you ill, you probably wouldn't if no-one had ever seen it before.

I think people have to remember that this is a "pure" lab drug .. and should be used sparingly. Unlike coke, which is cut with lots of rubbish and you have to have a line the length of your pinky for it to do anything.

Same as Neeeeeeeeek, I was quite horrified at the Pill Reports at this time ... hardly any have been tested as having MDMA in them.

I think people have to remember that this is a "pure" lab drug .. and should be used sparingly. Unlike coke, which is cut with lots of rubbish and you have to have a line the length of your pinky for it to do anything.

Same as Neeeeeeeeek, I was quite horrified at the Pill Reports at this time ... hardly any have been tested as having MDMA in them.

There's been a well documented MDMA shortage for the last year - which is why mephedrone has taken off as much as it has..

I think the test results have still to come back re:cause of death from the fatalities - sadly i doubt two lads overdosing on methadrone and alcohol would have made anything more than local news had it not been for the "news' element of a "new killer drug"...

I think the main issue with mephadrone is that people just dont know yet what the effects are.. I saw a toxologist from a London Hospital on telly recently (before the scare) who pointed out that millions of doses of mdma had been taken every weekend for the last 20 yrs - so they had a very good idea of its effects - but with these new chemicals - they dont have much of a clue...

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another government drugs advisor has just resigned in protest

That makes seven of them now.

From The Telegraph

Eric Carlin becomes seventh government drugs advisor to quit

Eric Carlin has become the seventh government drugs advisor to resign, causing further embarrassment to ministers over their handling of drugs policy.

The Home Office was accused of presiding over an “utterly shambolic” situation as Mr Carlin became the second member of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD) to quit this week.

He said that the ban on the “miaow-miaow” party drug five days ago was rushed through as a politically-motivated attempt to make the Government look tough, prior to the election.

In a letter to Alan Johnson, the home secretary, Mr Carlin said the decision was "unduly based on media and political pressure".

He also claimed that discussions about the drug between the council were curtailed because Mr Johnson wanted to announce the ban in a live televised press conference.

<snip>

• 3 weeks later...

Its interesting that there was a report a report that said mephedrone made about £2m in tax for the government before it was banned. Yet the govt caved to hysterical media pressure and benned it anyway.

Net result = drug is now underground, more dangerous than ever, more profitable for criminals to get into and sell, but people are still taking it and they will continue to die from it.

Well done government. Don't think about the problem just give in to hysterical media coverage

Net result = drug is now underground, more dangerous than ever, more profitable for criminals to get into and sell, but people are still taking it and they will continue to die from it.

I'm not convinced

I've a few acquaintances that used it and all of them have said that they're glad it's banned. They don't intend on using it again, if they wanted that feeling they said they'd go for a tried and tested 'proper drug' (i.e one that's been class b+ for a while)

Archived