Bamboo door to open on west street?

fortheroad

A hairdressers will be shut in the evening and there are already loads of them round that area anyway, so it's a waste of such a nice old building in a prominent location on West St/Glossop Road. This is an area which is predominantly restaurants, takeaways and bars of various types. We need to make sure we keep the city alive in locations like this. It could have been, for example, a Thai restaurant or another type of cuisine which isn't represented very well in the city centre. What next - estate agents and pound shops?

Are the nimbies in the 'city living' flats dictating whether there are any new bar/restaurant developments in town?

Not unless the proposed bar is right next door or below flats and they want to open until 2:30am.

That end of town is officially part of a residential area, hence the reason why most of the bars around there shut at 12am whilst lower down West St they open later. Nothing to do with residents, its the council policy.

I live next door and there were objections from residents - I'm pretty sure this had an effect on the old bank being used as a bar/restaurant, although I don't know for certain. I don't really understand why you'd choose to live at the top of West Street and then object to pubs and restaurants?! It's part and parcel of living there.

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed it won't be a bar - I was kind of hoping for something a bit better than The Swim Inn as my local ;-)

And I totally agree, a Thai restaurant would have been great - I don't always fancy walking down to London Road when I want something a little bit different.

I have heard rumours that a new cocktail bar called the bamboo door is opening near the swim inn on west street?? Apparently with a 1950's "tiki" theme with hawian decor and a large selection of rums...anyone else heard about this? I quite like the idea not sure there are enough good cocktail bars in the city at the moment.

From what I gather the Bamboo Door is now opening where the Lounge Bar is...........

From what I gather the Bamboo Door is now opening where the Lounge Bar is...........

yes it is, it will be part of the Upper West street group of bars which includes

The Wick at Both Ends

The Green Room

Bar 23

The Harley

Bamboo Door

think its just those 5

• 2 weeks later...

London, Manchester and Oxford all have modern takes on the Tiki Bar - and it's about time Sheffield had one.

Great Cocktails + fun surroundings = pure escapism.

I've been to Trader Vics in London, The Aku Aku in Oslo, The Hala Kahiki in Chicago and one of the two Manchester bars, so I'm looking forward to seeing how Sheffields attempt stacks up...

Let's hope they don't open a cocktail bar on West Street - they'll lose a lot fo trade on there and I won't be going if it's at that end of Town.

How will they loose trade by opening up in the most popular area for bars?

Archived