ID cards used for a purpose

peterw

I’ve just been looking at a list naming the majority of Sheffielders killed during the two nights of blitz. It’s of interest to me because most of those victims not only had names, they also had addresses. Then it struck me why.

They would all have had Identity Cards that they were forced to carry during the war. Cards that were not made of plastic, but which people took care of and almost treasured. Cards that gave the rescuers of their bodies all the initial information that authorities required.

I suppose that during the war Identity Cards were the last thing running through our minds while we were running to the nearest bomb shelter. So, what’s wrong with today’s anti-identity people? I would think that the only people not to want such an important piece of plastic are villains and wannabe villains — as they were during the war.

What do you think?

I think identity cards should be mandatory by law,and the cost should be covered by the Government. I had an identity card in the war years, I also had a pay book in the Army, and that really was only an identity card by another name. I think that the opposition to identity cards is because of the idea that they take away an individual's 'freedom' in some way. Whatever 'freedom' is. Could be that, they imagine that they will be stopped in the street with the command 'Papers', like they did in the war films. Well, if they're escaping from a prison camp or somewhere, so be it. If your not hiding anything you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I think identity cards should be mandatory by law,and the cost should be covered by the Government. I had an identity card in the war years, I also had a pay book in the Army, and that really was only an identity card by another name. I think that the opposition to identity cards is because of the idea that they take away an individual's 'freedom' in some way. Whatever 'freedom' is. Could be that, they imagine that they will be stopped in the street with the command 'Papers', like they did in the war films. Well, if they're escaping from a prison camp or somewhere, so be it. If your not hiding anything you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

The difference your gave basic information

The goverment want it to be an all embracing, identiy, benefit,NHS, and what ever

worse still be electronically recorded on a goverment database

I can name at least 8 incidents where data systems have been comprised, cd's lost,discs left on train, computers left in back of car, or just do not work

Take the police link to the insurance database, the database is only updated every tuesday. So if you take your insurance out on a wednesday it will not show up until the following tuesday.

Now if your pulled on Thursday and do not have your documents with you ( which remember is police advice to reduce chance of theft from car)

The police can impound your car even though it is insured but does not show up on their system

So a law abiding citizen could be left stood on the side of the road in the middle of nowwhere miles from home watching his car disappear on a pick up

Worst when he does turn up at the police station to prove it was insured at the time

He has pay for the recovery ordered by the police and pay for the days in storage. Because the recovery and storage is private contractor and has to be paid.

And last but not least what is to stop the baddies cloning or making false ones.

A good idea back in the 40's yes, basic information yes

But not sure it would stop the baddies

I’ve just been looking at a list naming the majority of Sheffielders killed during the two nights of blitz. It’s of interest to me because most of those victims not only had names, they also had addresses. Then it struck me why.

They would all have had Identity Cards that they were forced to carry during the war. Cards that were not made of plastic, but which people took care of and almost treasured. Cards that gave the rescuers of their bodies all the initial information that authorities required.

I suppose that during the war Identity Cards were the last thing running through our minds while we were running to the nearest bomb shelter. So, what’s wrong with today’s anti-identity people? I would think that the only people not to want such an important piece of plastic are villains and wannabe villains — as they were during the war.

What do you think?

i can still remember mine kimb 344/7

What do you think?

Ive no objection to an id card. but now we all carry plastic driving licenses, credit/bank cards which give authorities id straight away. So as a use for identifying bodies, cant see the point.

For counter- terrorism then yes, but that would mean stop searches in the street wouldnt it?

For counter- terrorism then yes, but that would mean stop searches in the street wouldnt it?
Yes, I suppose so. This reminds me of my German friend Manfred. He was in downtown Wiesbaden one day when two policemen stopped him - apparently he bore a strong resemblance to a wanted criminal who was known to be in the area. Manfred - unusually - wasn't carrying his ID card (all Germans must have them but it isn't compulsory to carry them). He ended up being detained at a police station until his identity could be proved.

Yes, I suppose so. This reminds me of my German friend Manfred. He was in downtown Wiesbaden one day when two policemen stopped him - apparently he bore a strong resemblance to a wanted criminal who was known to be in the area. Manfred - unusually - wasn't carrying his ID card (all Germans must have them but it isn't compulsory to carry them). He ended up being detained at a police station until his identity could be proved.

my friend also just had the same name as a wanted criminal, spent the night in jail out for dinner on his wedding day didn't make him any happy when found out the wanted man was Black, ouch that's real pain:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Archived