Trade plate driving

hi there, anybody ever done trade plate driving delivering cars etc all over the country.

ime looking for a job at present and this type of work is something i have been interested in doing before but been put off by tales of-

long hours

bad pay

having to hitch hike back to base in all weathers and not being paid for it

having to do it self employed

i love driving and this job might be up my street but does anyone know what its really like to do, if you do would you let me know what the pros and cons are please.

also is there any decent companies in sheffield that employ trade plate drivers and what are they like to work for, good or bad etc.

any info would be greatly appreciated, cheers

RM

I used to deliver cars for a leasing company (long since gone to the wall)during my period of hardship during the 80's.

The pay was disgusting,no overtime, but being a leasing company it was usually a matter of delivering a new car and bringing the old one back.If it was a one way job it was either with a rail warrant or pay my own way and claim the money back,so wasn't too bad.I drove about 70,000 miles in the 1 year I did the job.Driving is not much fun these days and it wasn't much better then.I once did Sheffield to Swansea to Exeter then to London and back to Sheffield all for 8 hrs pay.If you get sent to Aberdeen 3 days in succession it is no fun.I would pick up trade plate drivers (not allowed !)many times and almost all said they would not do it unless desperate.They said they were given a price for a job and it was upto them whether they took it or not,of course if they refused too many,no more offers.

So I am afraid I can't help you other say good luck if you still want to try it.

• 7 months later...

We are Motor Logistics. We employ trade plate drivers in South Yorkshire.

Ignore all the horror stories, people are always quick to tell you how bad things are. I can put you directly in touch with drivers who love the job and earn good money at it. We are looking at expanding our team and need more drivers. Before we take on a new driver, we send them out with one of our drivers to get a feel for the job and what it entails. Only then would we appoint a driver. If you are interested, email me: enquiries@motor-logistics.co.uk

Ignore all the horror stories, people are always quick to tell you how bad things are. I can put you directly in touch with drivers who love the job and earn good money at it. We are looking at expanding our team and need more drivers. Before we take on a new driver, we send them out with one of our drivers to get a feel for the job and what it entails. Only then would we appoint a driver. If you are interested, email me: enquiries@motor-logistics.co.uk

What a coincidence!:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I think you're the company (the name does ring a bell) that left my sister in law making her own way back from swansea at 2am in the morning. Could be wrong so not making a legal accusation against you lot. But it was definately one of your industries companies that left a 50 year old lass on her first day stranded with no back up or financial compensation whatsoever.

Anyone thinking about touching this with a bargepole needs to think twice, it's a vile industry that uses and abuses people for short term profit.

I do feel for trade plate drivers - but we're always advised as motorists not to pick up hitchhikers, as a woman driving around usually on my own, I'd still be unwilling to pick up someone whether they had a trade plate or not.

I would pick up a hitchhiker if she was wearing a very short skirt and wearing a tight fitting low cut t shirt without giving it a thought. I could be sure that with that garb that she was not concealing a weapon.:cool:

I would pick up a hitchhiker if she was wearing a very short skirt and wearing a tight fitting low cut t shirt without giving it a thought. I could be sure that with that garb that she was not concealing a weapon.:cool:

No but she would be asking if you were :hihi:

Archived