Withholding a relatives ashes..can a funeral director do this??

Not sure about legal, but it seems fair. Unless an instalment plan was arranged beforehand and they agreed to release the ashes before the last instalment was made and they've now reneged on that. If not, and they've carried out what was required to your satisfaction, you pay bill, they give you urn.

When my partner died I was given his ashes straight away, a long time before id finished paying off the funeral expenses.

The funeral director my friend used has forbidden her to take her brothers ashes until the final payment is made.

From what I can tell it seems to be down to the policy of individual directors, i just wondered if anyone had any experience of the same thing.

Manchester funeral director gets debt threats. Michael Kennedy, a funeral director for nearly 25 years, said a growing number of families were ordering lavish funerals they could not afford.
Have they never heard of having insurance to cover these inevitable expenses? Not that having doves or a piper is an essential funeral expense. How mawkish, anyway.

Was the Funeral Director a member of one of the National Associations?

If so they will have a Code of Practice which you can check.

Ideally, a written estimate should have been supplied and agreed upon.

That should have listed services to be supplied and payment terms.

In the absence (in the estimate/terms) of terms to the contrary, the funeral director should carry out all services in the estimate before submitting an invoice and I would expect supply of ashes/urn to be one of those services.

Whose name was actually on the application for the cremation?

The sister or the Funeral Director?

The law clearly states that ashes MUST be given to the applicant or their nominee.

Archived