How do I find out a birth record for free ?

Hi,

Does anyone know where I could search online for a free birth record in Sheffield.

I go to sites where it claims to be free and then it won't let me access info til I pay.

Other sites pertaining to Sheffield council are free but even when I put my own details in it says 'No matches found'

Can anyone suggest anything please?

You could try here....

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

Sheffield does have a Family History Centre run by the Mormon Church situated at the top of Wheel Lane, Grenoside, Sheffield where genealogical searches may be made.

My missis did most of the research to her family tree at Wheel Lane, and yes it's free. You do have to book a time for your visit in advance. If I remember correctly, Tuesday evenings was when she went. Not sure of other opening times.

Further info:

As well as providing the facilities, they also provide advice and help in doing a search.

Thanks for the replies so far. Two people have Pm'd me offering to search for me, and I have pm'd them, so thankyou for that.

Tried the Mormon place online, but it wasn't returning any results.I don't live in Sheffield anymore, so that's why it's a bit difficult to get information.

Hi,

Does anyone know where I could search online for a free birth record in Sheffield.

I go to sites where it claims to be free and then it won't let me access info til I pay.

Other sites pertaining to Sheffield council are free but even when I put my own details in it says 'No matches found'

Can anyone suggest anything please?

Why does it have to be free, if you go down to the registry office the only cost a couple of quid don’t they.

Edit

I stand corrected it looks like they have gone up a bit since I last got one.

Fees for copy certificates

Standard Birth Certificate £7.00

Short Birth Certificate £5.50

Death Certificate £7.00

Marriage Certificate £7.00

Full Civil Partnership Certificate £7.00

Extract Civil Partnership Certificate £7.00

Why does it have to be free, if you go down to the registry office the only cost a couple of quid don’t they.
No - it's £7 for a "standard" birth certificate (which will give the information the OP needs) or £5.50 for a "short" certificate. See here. Certificates can be applied for online via the General Register Office website - the price is the same as at a local register office.

No - it's £7 for a "standard" birth certificate (which will give the information the OP needs) or £5.50 for a "short" certificate. See here. Certificates can be applied for online via the General Register Office website - the price is the same as at a local register office.

The prices are going up 6th..April 2010.

The cost of ordering certificates online with a GRO reference number, using the standard service, will rise from £7.00 to £9.25. A number of other charges, however, will fall to this new standard fee, including those for certificates where customers do not know the reference number.

Edit

I stand corrected it looks like they have gone up a bit since I last got one.

Fees for copy certificates

Standard Birth Certificate £7.00

Short Birth Certificate £5.50

Death Certificate £7.00

Marriage Certificate £7.00

Full Civil Partnership Certificate £7.00

Extract Civil Partnership Certificate £7.00

Erm, the reason I couldn't 'Just pop down the register office' is as I said cos I don't live in Sheffield anymore !

Archived