How do I find out a birth record for free ?

Erm, the reason I couldn't 'Just pop down the register office' is as I said cos I don't live in Sheffield anymore !

Surely the information is on a computer data base and a certificate is available from any registry office.

Edit

Or maybe not -

Getting a copy of a birth certificate

Birth certificates in England and Wales

You can get a copy of a birth certificate in one of the following ways and a fee will be charged:

by post or personal visit to the register office where the birth took place

online from the General Register Office, if you have full details of the birth or know the GRO Index reference number. You can pay by credit or debit card. You can apply online at http://www.direct.gov.uk.

by telephone from the General Register Office. This service is only available to credit and debit card holders

by post from the General Register Office. You can obtain an application form by emailing the General Register office. You can pay the fee by credit or debit card or by a cheque payable to IPS. The contact details are:

General Register Office

Certificate Services Section

PO Box 2

Southport

Merseyside

PR8 2JD

Archived