Should smokers be allowed to adopt or foster kids?

I know a better idea, we'll make sure no smokers who are good generous people can foster or adopt and we'll put all the kids into work camps instead..or, we'll give them all to paedophiles!

If a smoker really wants to adopt or foster, all they've got to do is stop smoking. If they don't want it enough to demonstrate they are prepared or able to make sacrifices for the sake of the kids, then why should they be deemed suitable?

If a smoker really wants to adopt or foster, all they've got to do is stop smoking. If they don't want it enough to demonstrate they are prepared or able to make sacrifices for the sake of the kids, then why should they be deemed suitable?

And the people who like a pint every now and then ... and on and on. Why single out smokers. The fact a person smokes does not make them a bad parent as long as they are not blowing smoke in the kids face.

And the people who like a pint every now and then ... and on and on. Why single out smokers. The fact a person smokes does not make them a bad parent as long as they are not blowing smoke in the kids face.

Why indeed? :thumbsup:

You say, 'why single out smokers'. Smoking is a choice, not a condition. Like I said, if somebody is really committed, they can choose to stop being a smoker. What's more, smokers aren't 'singled out'. Drug addicts and alchoholics are not allowed to foster or adopt either, although I'm pretty sure it's fine for people who 'like a pint every now and again.'

There is now clear evidence that second hand smoke can cause serious health problems, up to and including death, especially in children, because their respitory systems are still developing. Furthermore, children whose parents or guardians are smokers are significantly more likely to end up as smokers themselves. If someone proposes to take responsibility for the education, health and general development of a child, but they are not even prepared to demonstrate they can take responsibility for there own health, it speaks volumes.

The word Nanny State springs to mind.

Not really, the words 'Ward of the state' spring to mind though. The state is supposed to look out for the best interests of the child being placed. It is supposed to nanny them in this instance.

Smokers are singled out compared to people who drink because there's no such thing as 2nd hand drinking. Children don't develop any diseases just from regularly being in the same room as someone drinking a glass of wine.

ok lets look at it this way :)

If you smoke - your kids will smoke (apparently) and theres the whole 2nd hand smoke.

if you drink - you are opening up the world of alcohol to that child and he or she may end up being an alcoholic.

if you drive - you are promoting pollution and that can harm the child aswell as 2nd hand smoke.

if you take medicines or drugs - you are opening up your child to a possibility to become addicted to drugs

Far to simplistic.

If you smoke then your children are more likely to become smokers.

If you drink then I'm not aware of any evidence that your children are more likely to be problem drinkers (drinking in moderation is actually good for you, unlike smoking).

Driving is promoting pollution? You've lost me there.

Drug use (illegal drug use) would already disqualify you from fostering. And a link between medicine and drug abuse I'm pretty sure is you just making things up.

Studies can show the link between parental smoking and the likelihood of children smoking, you can't just make things up about medical treatment and drug abuse and expect to use that to support an argument.

Smokers are singled out compared to people who drink because there's no such thing as 2nd hand drinking. Children don't develop any diseases just from regularly being in the same room as someone drinking a glass of wine.

But as has been said - many smokers will not smoke in the presence of their children - sort of kills that excuse.

I have seen more stories of violent abuse caused through alcohol consumption than I have through smoking too much. This does affect children - both physically and mentally.

Archived