Child forced to join in act of worship.

I think we should check up on a teacher's right to force a child to sing. And then check on that teacher's right to threaten a child and humiliate the child for not singing.

Not sure if there is an actually law that states a child must sing hymns or be humiliated.

The child was not humiliated, we do not know how the threat was made.

Perhaps some of the posters on this thread would be happy if teachers were stripped of all authority.

Once again I will state that it would appear the child was not excused from acting in the same way as all the other pupils

The child was not humiliated, we do not know how the threat was made.

Perhaps some of the posters on this thread would be happy if teachers were stripped of all authority.

Once again I will state that it would appear the child was not excused from acting in the same way as all the other pupils

The child was not because the child joined in. This is singing hymns to a god not believed in - as opposed to a topic on the curriculum.

Lots of children are excused from acting in the same way as other pupils - generally based upon their religion.

And teachers should not be allowed to abuse their status because a child does not wish to sing - for whatever reason.

No!.. not necessarily. Just because something is common practice in our schools, doesn't mean teachers have the right to enforce it.

What do you mean?.. being in possession of the full facts?.

If the school are aware of a legitimate reason for a pupil to be excused an activity they will be tret differently to the others.

If the school are aware of a legitimate reason for a pupil to be excused an activity they will be tret differently to the others.
Why would a pupil need a legitimate reason excusing them from singing to someone else's god?. Are all british shcool children regarded as christian untill their parent/s state otherwise?

Why would a pupil need a legitimate reason excusing them from singing to someone else's god?. Are all british shcool children regarded as christian untill their parent/s state otherwise?

Well if the school cannot make assumptions about the religion of a pupil and the parents do not need to inform the school of their childs wishes lets have the national anthem sang in school assemblies to unify pupils of different beliefs, or non beliefs. Surely you do not disagree with this. All pupils could be included.

Well if the school cannot make assumptions about the religion of a pupil and the parents do not need to inform the school of their childs wishes lets have the national anthem sang in school assemblies to unify pupils of different beliefs, or non beliefs. Surely you do not disagree with this. All pupils could be included.

My bold

Religion is not a requirement, it's a belief. the choice to believe in god should be left to the individual, therefore, the choice to sing hymns should also be left to the individual... adult or not.

My bold

Religion is not a requirement, it's a belief. the choice to believe in god should be left to the individual, therefore, the choice to sing hymns should also be left to the individual... adult or not.

Once again can I state my point that it does not appear that the school was aware of the desire for the child not to be included in the singing. If the parent had approached the school and made their wishes known I do not think there would have been a problem. It seems the teacher was simply trying to get the pupil to join in with everyone else regardless of the subject.

Archived