Child forced to join in act of worship.

Why don't you just go & have a word with the school? My daughters (10 & 11) would class themselves as athiests but I still like them to join in anything like this, including the singing of hyms. I think its good for them to get an insight into different practices & have no objections. However I am sure that if I did object & went to school to voice this they would be excused.

They also go to the local church on occasions (Easter, Xmas etc) with school & although the younger one in particular moans about it I think its an important part of her education. I can ask to opt out of this but they usually enjoy it in the end as in addition to the slightly religious bit they also tend to put on a bit of a show - particularly at the Christmas one.

My comment was a response to your post which is in this thread. If your post was on topic, then my response was on topic, and vice versa.
What particular was you referring to as being not germane to the general point you were trying to make? post 242

I find it interesting that there have been no replies to my posts 192 and 208.

Because I can choose not to reply to them without fear of humiliation or threat of reprisal. The child in question has arrived at his own conclusion on this. He feels uncomfortable worshiping someone else's deity.

:oNow you're trying to put words into my mouth! What is it with this thread?:mad:

Please show where I have condemned any school in this thread, let alone one specific one. If you cannot, please retract that statement.

On the basis of the information supplied to me in this thread, I said that, IMO, the teacher was wrong to threaten to humiliate a child for any reason.

How does that equate to condemning a school? I didn't even condemn the teacher.

And you seek to lecture me on objectivity and perspective?:loopy:

I was using the word school as it is the body the teacher represents but if you like substitute teacher for school.

Because I can choose not to reply to them without fear of humiliation or threat of reprisal. The child in question has arrived at his own conclusion on this. He feels uncomfortable worshiping someone else's deity.

I am sorry if you think the post was aimed at you as it wasn't. I posted it because most of the other contributors were not sddressing these relevant points.

As I said at the beginning of this thread as a parent you will do what you think is right for your child as we all would. In my case I would have spoken to the school to explain my position and hopefully avoid putting my child in this position.

Any Scottish kids could object.

Verse 6:-

Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring

May he sedition hush

And like a torrent rush

Rebellious Scots to crush

God save the King

But only Rebellious Scots are mentioned not loyal ones.

What particular was you referring to as being not germane to the general point you were trying to make? post 242

The hymn singing.

My point was about the authority of the teacher compared to the authority of the vicar (...or, if you prefer, the position of a child v. the position of an adult...) and not about one specific example of how that authority could or could not be used.

I was using the word school as it is the body the teacher represents but if you like substitute teacher for school.

It was the severity of the word, 'condemned' that concerned me.

You said that I'd condemned the school when I had not even referred to the school. I merely said that in one particlar instance, IMO, the teacher had overstepped his/her authority. That's hardly condemning someone, or a whole school, yes?

The hymn singing.

My point was about the authority of the teacher compared to the authority of the vicar (...or, if you prefer, the position of a child v. the position of an adult...) and not about one specific example of how that authority could or could not be used.

Nevertheless, the only comparable difference between the two is the setting. A child has no greater obligation to sing hymns in school assembly than they would at a church wedding. The vicar has no less or greater right than the teacher in expecting them to do so. The teacher has no less or greater right than the vicar.

Archived