Child forced to join in act of worship.

More blind assertion. :P Have you any evidence for that?

(:hihi:)

Only my own life experiences but I should have said generally turn out for the best.

Didn't we both say we were finishing with this thread several pages ago ?

I feel that I am talking to you and Danot more than my wife !!!(are you male or female in case she gets jealous)

:confused: I still don't follow.

Let's compare both situations: On one hand we have a teacher overstepping their authority.. which they are not permitted to do!. We agree on that.

On the other, we have a vicar acting without authority.. which they are not prmitted to do!. We also agree on that. Yet somehow, we continue to disagree that authority make the two situations different.:huh:

Getting a child's attention and setting work is part of a teachers job and I'm not sure if the teacher did overstep the mark. Bloomdidio said in an earlier post (paraphrasing) "have you not heard of passive resistance" and this could easily come across as dumb insolence. I would be interested to know what the child's attitude is like towards authority in general and if there was a pattern of insubordination developing then perhaps it might be worthwhile taking a look at the child's general performance in school?

Getting a child's attention and setting work is part of a teachers job and I'm not sure if the teacher did overstep the mark. Bloomdidio said in an earlier post (paraphrasing) "have you not heard of passive resistance" and this could easily come across as dumb insolence. I would be interested to know what the child's attitude is like towards authority in general and if there was a pattern of insubordination developing then perhaps it might be worthwhile taking a look at the child's general performance in school?

Hi Grahame, I think the above was Danots post and not mine. But a point I will make is that when I went to school my parents told me to learn all I could and do as the teacher told me.

Let's assume the child did have problems, what would it matter?. Teachers do not have the authority to force a child to sing along to hymns in assembly.

Hi Grahame, I think the above was Danots post and not mine. But a point I will make is that when I went to school my parents told me to learn all I could and do as the teacher told me.
Didn't your parents ever advise you on dealing with bullies who take advantage of their position?

(My bold.)

Believing in the tooth fairy, Santa, etc. is infantile. Some people grow out of ridiculous beliefs. Sadly, some don't.

If you believe that belief in the tooth fairy, Santa, Jesus and so on is infantile, I would imagine that since you don't share those beliefs you would regard yourself as more mature?

However, regardless of whether one regards them as either infantile or indeed appropriate terms to use in an adult discussion, your references to 'jeebus' and the 'babble' do not actually add any weight to any of your arguments.

Given that you must be aware that many religious folk hold their beliefs very dear, I wonder therefore, since they don't add any weight to any productive discussion (I doubt whether that popular scientist/atheist of the moment Mr Dawkins feels the need to refer to such terms to make his point), whether they are simply there to try and cause upset to certain posters?

I wonder how you would behave in a hypothetical situation where you had a child who believed in Santa?

Play along until such time (as usually happens)

they ask for the truth and then gently let them have the truth?

Or perhaps a different approach?

Let's assume the child did have problems, what would it matter?. Teachers do not have the authority to force a child to sing along to hymns in assembly.

Once again if the teacher was not aware of any reason for the child not to sing they were right in asking him to join in a group activity.

It doesn't matter if it was singing hymns or playing football.

You can not have a member of a group opting out unless a legitimate reason is explained to those in authority in order for them to be tret differently to the others.

In the case of a child I would expect the parent to approach the school and explain their case at the beginning of term or when they formed this view .

Once again if the teacher was not aware of any reason for the child not to sing they were right in asking him to join in a group activity.

It doesn't matter if it was singing hymns or playing football.

You can not have a member of a group opting out unless a legitimate reason is explained to those in authority in order for them to be tret differently to the others.

In the case of a child I would expect the parent to approach the school and explain their case at the beginning of term or when they formed this view .

Wait a minute, so are you saying that morning assemblies are for the purpose of god worship, where "everyone" who attends is expected to unite in hymn singing to praise god?. Are you also saying that any parent/s that disaprove should take it upon themselves to notify the school so their child can be excused?

A person in a position of authority who asserts that authority when they beleive it is justified is not a bully.
Any person in a position of authority that genuinely believed that they are justified in enforcing a belief system onto others, would be deluded. Should they then enforce it onto others, they would become a deluded bully.

Archived