Child forced to join in act of worship.

To a better age ?

Only people with rose tinted glasses think there was a better age.

Rickets, diptheria, smallpox. Cancer was a definite death sentence.

Smoking in pubs (:gag:).

Holidays in Skeggy.

Little white dot followed epilogue on black & white telly at 10:30 pm.

Wednesday in the first division. (:huh:Well...:suspect: Actually...):hihi:

Etc.

I have enjoyed this debate with Redwhine and Danot and think alternative views have been expressed in a sensible and friendly way.

I don't think any of us have influenced the others, at least I don't think I have influenced anyone into changing their viewpoint.

I commend Bloomdido, who in my opinion, has acted in a sensible manner by not creating a fuss at school after considering the matter.

But I think it is time for me to leave this thread now as it has been exhausted.

Redwhine I have absolutely no intention of discussing Sheffield Wednesdays performance over the years !!!

Phil.

Interesting piece in the Tory mail here about a girl truanted for refusing to wear a headscarf on an educational visit to a mosque. Her mother decided it wasn't appropriate.

She is described as a 'catholic schoolgirl'. Why do people insist in sticking religious labels on their children?

Interesting piece in the Tory mail here about a girl truanted for refusing to wear a headscarf on an educational visit to a mosque. Her mother decided it wasn't appropriate.

She is described as a 'catholic schoolgirl'. Why do people insist in sticking religious labels on their children?

This is what I meant when I said about taking my shoes off in a Muslims house. It was a religious thing and although I do not like Islam I would rather live amicably than cause animosity and bad feeling. Hopefully Muslims would have the same respect for my religion and if we extend this feeling of mutual goodwill and respect for others then it would be nice if Bloomdido and family responded towards Christians in the same spirit of goodwill when it comes to school assembly. :)

From that link...

"'There are two reasons for these visits. One is that the scheme of work in religious studies REQUIRES children to have knowledge and understanding of other world religions."

...which they apparently cannot do without wearing fancy dress. Did they have to learn to fly planes but not to land them too?

This is what I meant when I said about taking my shoes off in a Muslims house. It was a religious thing and although I do not like Islam I would rather live amicably than cause animosity and bad feeling. Hopefully Muslims would have the same respect for my religion and if we extend this feeling of mutual goodwill and respect for others then it would be nice if Bloomdido and family responded towards Christians in the same spirit of goodwill when it comes to school assembly. :)

But christianity is not the only religion.

By the time they'd sung 39,000 different hymns (one for each christian sect), sacrificed a virgin, stoned a couple of apostates and meditated for hours standing on their heads, there wouldn't be any time left for lessons.

Much easier not to pander to any religious demands.

Unless you don't think other religions deserve respect; just christianity. (So just the 39,000 hymns then?)

But christianity is not the only religion.

By the time they'd sung 39,000 different hymns (one for each christian sect), sacrificed a virgin, stoned a couple of apostates and meditated for hours standing on their heads, there wouldn't be any time left for lessons.

Much easier not to pander to any religious demands.

Unless you don't think other religions deserve respect; just christianity. (So just the 39,000 hymns then?)

You talk daft redwhine.

I wasn't suggesting that we feed christians to the lions, just that my son isn't contaminated by having to join in with ritual zombie worship.

I have been in many magnificant churches around the World and have contemplated their beauty. I never did anything to disrespect the people in there as it was me entering their territory.

I would love to be shown around a mosque and ask questions of the faith and if it required me to behave or cover up my string vest, I would willingly.

I would love to be shown around a mosque and ask questions of the faith and if it required me to behave or cover up my string vest, I would willingly.

String vest ? Is the T shirt with the slogan in the wash?

(Sorry I couldn't resist it)

Archived