Halal Meat .. I've been wondering ..

I've been reading about the KFC Halal branches in the UK and it's got me thinking. I regularly pass the chippy at Page Hall and noticed sometime ago that it's now called HALAL FISHERIES. I know that Halal meat is supposed to have been blessed or something ...but do the fish have to go through the same ritual ??

I've been reading about the KFC Halal branches in the UK and it's got me thinking. I regularly pass the chippy at Page Hall and noticed sometime ago that it's now called HALAL FISHERIES. I know that Halal meat is supposed to have been blessed or something ...but do the fish have to go through the same ritual ??

No fish don't have to go through a blessing etc..

By halal fisheries it meants that the fish, chips etc are fried in oil that has not been used to fry pork sausages and doesn't contain lard and that anything they sell is ok for muslims to eat.

Yeah ... I thought that might be the case but I was curious about the fish .

Halal isn't as strict as kosher, you can buy kosher wheat products, sugar products etc - It does indeed seem that halal only means meats and meat products (such as gelatine)... Everything else is fair game...

I don't see the problem. If KFC's customers want to eat halal meat then they will buy it and that branch of KFC will make money.

If KFC's customers object to the shop only selling halal meat then they won't buy it and that branch of KFC will probably go broke.

If a lot of people complain to the franchise holder and if the franchise holder feels that the brand name is being damaged, then the franchise holder will do something to protect the brand name.

Some people argue that they don't want to eat halal meat because the slaughtering methods are not humane. - But what about 'organic' meat?

Pigs are (I understand) usually stunned with CO2 prior to being slaughtered. If you stun a pig with CO2 it is then no longer classed as 'organic'. - Do those people who object to buying halal meat refrain from buying organic pork?

How humane are the mechanical killing devices used to slaughter the chickens and other animals used in fried chicken?

Archived