Arguments about God, including the ignostic-Ockham

Does God exists?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Does God exists?

• Spencerian [hard] agnostic- no one can know
    • soft agnostic- I'm undecided
    • Huxley agnostic- it takes evidence
    • ignostic - He means nothing, so He can't exist.
    • soft atheist [ negative]- lack of belief
    • hard [positive]atheist-probably not
    • agnostic theist- He exists but we cannot know much about Him
    • pantheist- His the world itself.
    • polytheist- they exist
    • adeist- they exist but don't interfere in the world
    • deist-He exists but has no revelations- hol books

;6147349']I'm not... If i have any interest in religions then my focus is on the many far more interesting eastern philosophies... You should read again my partaking in this discussion...

e.g you...

I believe in Jesus Christ.

You talk about science, why?

Do you have an Isa Grahame? In essence, it's a wrapper around your money which protects you from tax

Religion is a wrapper : it protects you from reality; sells you certainty, gives you an excuse for living your life in ignorance and bigotry and sanctions said bigotry and ignorance. Religion is a personal choice and until and unless special privileges for believers are revoked, the world, as we know it, has little hope.

I have an ISA which I believe is good. If religion is like an ISA which you say it is then according to you religion is good.

I believe in Jesus Christ.

You talk about science, why?

Because the scientific method is the best and only method we have for finding out the truth about the nature of the universe... Any supposed 'facts' not subjected to such methodological scrutiny are inherently untrustworthy otherwise...

;6147383']Because the scientific method is the best and only method we have for finding out the truth about the nature of the universe... Any supposed 'facts' not subjected to such methodological scrutiny are inherently untrustworthy otherwise...

Some people follow Buddha, you might do yourself. You don't need science to do that.

Why would that worry you if you aren't interested in Christianity?

Like I've said many times (...even I'm fed up of hearing myself say it!:hihi:...), when they get the bishops out of the House of Lords, stop tax breaks to religious organisations, and a few other things, you'll no longer hear me bang on about religion. Believe what you want.

If I obsess at all (...and I don't think I do...) it's only because of the way it intrudes into every aspect of my life unwelcomely, and not because of a fondness for it.

Some people follow Buddha, you might do yourself. You don't need science to do that.
Sure, but you still wouldn't know whether many of the claims central to Buddhism were true or not. Take for example the claim of reincarnation which to me seems an outlandish belief not supported by evidence and I will continue to view it as such until evidence arises that I'm wrong. I highly doubt that will ever happen however.

All i mean to say is you can believe in something if you wish but you can never be sure your beliefs are accurate until those beliefs are subjected to scientific scrutiny. I prefer to not keep an open mind and not hold any religious beliefs in the first place. From there I only let facts sway my opinion... Religion tends to butcher facts or suppress opinions of those opposite to their own for their own means...

Like I've said many times (...even I'm fed up of hearing myself say it!:hihi:...), when they get the bishops out of the House of Lords, stop tax breaks to religious organisations, and a few other things, you'll no longer hear me bang on about religion. Believe what you want.

If I obsess at all (...and I don't think I do...) it's only because of the way it intrudes into every aspect of my life unwelcomely, and not because of a fondness for it.

Then why do you talk about the bishops? In fact you don't, not to me, so why mention it?

You talk to me about God all the time, how is that not being obsessed.

Then why do you talk about the bishops? In fact you don't, not to me, so why mention it?

You talk to me about God all the time, how is that not being obsessed.

No. He's talking about others who are obsessed with god holding too much political power in this country (The Lords Spiritual) and consequently too much power over his own life? Are you being deliberately thick?? :rolleyes:

;6147434']Sure, but you still wouldn't know whether many of the claims central to Buddhism were true or not. Take for example the claim of reincarnation which to me seems an outlandish belief not supported by evidence and I will continue to view it as such until evidence arises that I'm wrong. I highly doubt that will ever happen however.

All i mean to say is you can believe in something if you wish but you can never be sure your beliefs are accurate until those beliefs are subjected to scientific scrutiny. I prefer to not keep an open mind and not hold any religious beliefs in the first place. From there I only let facts sway my opinion... Religion tends to butcher facts or suppress opinions of those opposite to their own for their own means...

For me, if I want financial advice I go to a financial advisor, I don't go to a scientist.

Archived