Arguments about God, including the ignostic-Ockham

Does God exists?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Does God exists?

• Spencerian [hard] agnostic- no one can know
    • soft agnostic- I'm undecided
    • Huxley agnostic- it takes evidence
    • ignostic - He means nothing, so He can't exist.
    • soft atheist [ negative]- lack of belief
    • hard [positive]atheist-probably not
    • agnostic theist- He exists but we cannot know much about Him
    • pantheist- His the world itself.
    • polytheist- they exist
    • adeist- they exist but don't interfere in the world
    • deist-He exists but has no revelations- hol books

Gormenghast, yes, why believe in Him any more than in a rabbit's foot, my friend!

We naturalists receive many blessings without resorting to either superstition. So the arguments from angst and purpose-happiness have no merit.

Augustine holds that we all have anguish unless we are in His bosom. Or, as others state that we must have faith in Him to have a purpose and true happiness. Empiricism denies both arguments. Supernaturalists have never and cannot ever adduce facts for either argument. Should we have anguish, then as I did, we seek therapy. We make our own purposes and happiness.

The creation evolutionist Francisco Jose Ayala begs to differ, averring that we do need Him to overcome anguish and to find purpose. Nay, as stated, no!

Notwithstanding him in his claim in " Darwin and Intelligent Design," that supernaturalism makes for values. Nay, any good values there inversely come from the presumption of humanism-covenant morality as I'll illuminate anon in a new thread. He however does maintain that we naturalists can indeed lead meaningful lives!

Gormenghast, had Europe followed Carneades, Thales and Theodorus, we'd be ever so much advanced centuries ago!

See those eponymous = self-named- threads, and Rationalist @ Bloggers. Gormenghast and Matt, y'all might post there and in fact be my designated co-hosts! And thanks for your valuable comments!

I'm trying to be clearer!

Please take away the stigma of mental disease and support mental health! My schizotypy used to make me terminally shy and somewhat paranoid. It, with the attendant cortical defects, makes for that word salad!

I know the consensus of opinion is away from parallel universe but it would explain heaven.[/Quote]

Go on... how?

Don't you be so sure about anything, we probably don't know the half of it yet. :)

I'm not the one making positive assertions that the bible is being reconciled with science.

God is not an insurance package, neither is he a comfort blanket, or a crutch. People have it wrong. The emphasis in the Bible is that we are responsible and are held responsible for our own actions.

Spoken like a true atheist!

Quote:

Do atheists believe that as well?

Originally Posted by Grahame

God is not an insurance package, neither is he a comfort blanket, or a crutch. People have it wrong. The emphasis in the Bible is that we are responsible and are held responsible for our own actions.

Do atheists believe that as well?

Well I can't speak for all atheists. Trying to organise atheists is like trying to herd cats. All we have in common is that we withhold belief in god/gods.

Speaking for myself...

"God is not an insurance package, neither is he a comfort blanket, or a crutch."

Well, I'd have gone with, 'nor a crutch', but then again English is my mother tongue. (What's your excuse?:hihi:) But, yes; I subscribe to that sentiment. Something that does not exist cannot be anything, which, of course, includes those items on your list.

"People have it wrong."

I don't know anybody who is 100% right about everything, so, depending on what you mean by 'it', I can live with that. I'd probably leave it out of a definitive statement due to it being kinda tautologous, as in, 'stating the bleedin' obvious'.

"The emphasis in the Bible is that we are responsible and are held responsible for our own actions."

I'll leave the first part of the sentence for the theists to argue about (...where the emphasis in the wholely babble lies...). They are, after all, very good at it. Although, I must say, it it makes a mockery of the concept of prayer.

But, yes, we are responsible for our own actions (...again, 'stating the bleedin' obvious...) and should be held responsible for them (...by other human beings and in this world, as there is no supernatural entity nor an afterlife).

Well I can't speak for all atheists. Trying to organise atheists is like trying to herd cats. All we have in common is that we withhold belief in god/gods.

Speaking for myself...

<snip>yes, we are responsible for our own actions..........and should be held responsible for them..........

Then I hold you responsible for belittling Christianity.

Archived