Arguments about God, including the ignostic-Ockham

Does God exists?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Does God exists?

• Spencerian [hard] agnostic- no one can know
    • soft agnostic- I'm undecided
    • Huxley agnostic- it takes evidence
    • ignostic - He means nothing, so He can't exist.
    • soft atheist [ negative]- lack of belief
    • hard [positive]atheist-probably not
    • agnostic theist- He exists but we cannot know much about Him
    • pantheist- His the world itself.
    • polytheist- they exist
    • adeist- they exist but don't interfere in the world
    • deist-He exists but has no revelations- hol books

Most christian people go by the King James version of the bible - and that WAS altered a great deal.

And one of the big alterations that bothers me is "Thou shall not suffer a witch to live." Which is completely different to what it says in the real bible.

First of all you have to remember that is Judaism and not Christianity.

How has it been changed. This is the original Hebrew.

מְכַשֵּׁפָה לֹא תְחַיֶּה׃ ס

Here

In its original Hebrew text the verse reads: M'khashephah lo tichayyah. Literally this means: "May a m'khashephah not live" or "You will not keep a m'khashephah in life." M'khashephah is the feminine form (although it also has a collective meaning) of a term which can also be used in the masculine m'khasheph). It means someone who practices k'shaphim, a magic characterized by spell-working that aggressively makes changes in the environment.

Maybe that's not enough for you but hey - I am sure that if you want to you can find other references.

The idea being that if a christian even acknowledged a witch then he was acknowledging satan and was guilty of sin. So to kill a witch broke at least two laws of the christian religion.

In its original Hebrew text the verse reads: M'khashephah lo tichayyah. Literally this means: "May a m'khashephah not live" or "You will not keep a m'khashephah in life." M'khashephah is the feminine form (although it also has a collective meaning) of a term which can also be used in the masculine m'khasheph). It means someone who practices k'shaphim, a magic characterized by spell-working that aggressively makes changes in the environment.

Maybe that's not enough for you but hey - I am sure that if you want to you can find other references.

The idea being that if a christian even acknowledged a witch then he was acknowledging satan and was guilty of sin. So to kill a witch broke at least two laws of the christian religion.

You have the interpretation about right, but hey I am a Christian and I am acknowledging you and I have no intention of harming even a hair of your head.

Like I keep saying that is Jewish Levitical law that the Pharisees followed and Jesus told them in no uncertain terms how wrong they were due to the fact it is not Gods law which is that we are NOT to kill, but it was man-made law.

Don't worry, if any Christian kills you they will have me to answer to. :D

It is NOT Christianity. Christianity is in the New Testament.

You have the interpretation about right, but hey I am a Christian and I am acknowledging you and I have no intention of harming even a hair of your head.

Like I keep saying that is Jewish Levitical law that the Pharisees followed and Jesus told them in no uncertain terms how wrong they were due to the fact it is not Gods law which is that we are NOT to kill, but it was man made law.

Don't worry, if any Christian kills you they will have me to answer to. :D

It is NOT Christianity.

Then why is it in the bible that you can find in almost any christian church in England? Seems a bit silly letting people have a bible that is nothing to do with their religion rather than one that is something to do with it.

ps. Here's a more common one for you -

"His" Bible (the King James Bible) was translated to keep Jamie-boy happy, so they translated the word chasaph--which is Hebrew for poisoner-- to mean "witch" instead.

The real Biblical passage was about the disturbing crime of poisoning in the Jewish community. When that line was originally written, poisonings were a growing concern. And, in that "eye for an eye" era, the logical sentence for a poisoner was death.

Then why is it in the bible that you can find in almost any christian church in England? Seems a bit silly letting people have a bible that is nothing to do with their religion rather than one that is something to do with it.

The Old Testament gives us the background to the New Testament and of course we find the Ten Commandments firstly in the Old Testament so there is some relevance, but what we should all do is if we are going to read the Old Testament then we need to read everything in context.

About people who poison others, let me admit I do not know about that, but I do know King James was very strict about accuracy and I can only think that with their knowledge of herbs perhaps it was only witches who poisoned people?

If you have the reference I can maybe look it up for you. :)

The Old Testament gives us the background to the New Testament and of course we find the Ten Commandments firstly in the Old Testament so there is some relevance, but what we should all do is if we are going to read the Old Testament then we need to read everything in context.

About people who poison others, let me admit I do not know about that, but I do know King James was very strict about accuracy and I can only think that with their knowledge of herbs perhaps it was only witches who poisoned people?

If you have the reference I can maybe look it up for you. :)

If I have the reference then I can look it up myself thanks.

Google "Thou shall not suffer a witch .."

Seriously - the bible never said any such thing before it was edited ... wrongly.

But of course - the bits of the bible you disagree with are not really parts of your christian bible - so what's the point? You change what is just to suit you. And not admitting such a simple thing as this proves it.

If I have the reference then I can look it up myself thanks.

Google "Thou shall not suffer a witch .."

Seriously - the bible never said any such thing before it was edited ... wrongly.

But of course - the bits of the bible you disagree with are not really parts of your christian bible - so what's the point? You change what is just to suit you. And not admitting such a simple thing as this proves it.

I have been googling while I was waiting for you and I couldn't find anything. I did find this though where the witches who followed Jesus burnt all their books. and would you believe it, none of the witches were harmed. Christians don't do that sort of thing.

Acts 19:19, “And many of those who practised magic brought their books together and began burning them in the sight of all; and they counted up the price of them and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver.”

I have been googling while I was waiting for you and I couldn't find anything. I did find this though where the witches who followed Jesus burnt all their books.

Acts 19:19, “And many of those who practised magic brought their books together and began burning them in the sight of all; and they counted up the price of them and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver.”

Not very good with google are you?

Does it say which books they decided to burn? Now all those people have books - did they have them on book shelves or just raid a local library. Does that sentence mean that the cost of the books was added up and came to that amount? Blooming rich witches in those days were they not.

Now I suppose you ought to also look up the etymology of witch for what it most likely came from and then explain why witches were supposedly assailed by christians.

On second thoughts - don't bother looking it up. It does not matter. You have the proof that the bible was altered and still deny it. Hey ho!

Not very good with google are you?

Does it say which books they decided to burn? Now all those people have books - did they have them on book shelves or just raid a local library. Does that sentence mean that the cost of the books was added up and came to that amount? Blooming rich witches in those days were they not.

Now I suppose you ought to also look up the etymology of witch for what it most likely came from and then explain why witches were supposedly assailed by christians.

On second thoughts - don't bother looking it up. It does not matter. You have the proof that the bible was altered and still deny it. Hey ho!

What proof is that?

Archived