Is it worth losing your civil liberties to reduce a "terror threat"

Nothing to hide?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Nothing to hide?

• Go away, leave me alone
    • Check me out, check him out, check them out

• 7 months later...
It depends whether it is a proporionate response to the threat.

Asking people not to leave and to report unattended baggage, proportionate. Police with machine guns on display at Leeds station disproportionate.

Well I remember see Police with guns at Leeds station in the early nineties, nothing to do with any form of Muslim threat...

Wasn't it Benjamin Franklin who nicely summarised the issue several hundred years ago?

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Do you leave your front door open, key's in the car, not worry about the kids (due to drugs, knifes, rape, etc)?

The thing is that most people recognise that the "terror threat" is virtually non existent so scare tactics no longer work. The last serious terror attack in Britain was in 2005, nearly 5 years ago, so what have all these mysterious terrorists been doing since then?

Trying ! ! !

It's a big fat sodding bribe for killing people by the thousand.

Dunno if they'd care if they killed or not, but it is a reason to buy / sell weaponry.

Pls take this bit separately... Wars throughout history has made great impacts on science and technology! Sorry to say, the world owes a lot to war... Whether we needed it in the first place is another question.

;6061469']"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin.

...wise words indeed Ben.

http://books.google.com/books?id=W2MFAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA270&lpg=PA270t#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Not that i'm anti government in any way, but he was the head of a government who had police, jails, armies... dare I even say slavery...

Archived