Is it worth losing your civil liberties to reduce a "terror threat"

Nothing to hide?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Nothing to hide?

• Go away, leave me alone
    • Check me out, check him out, check them out

However I am against giving my fingerprints like a criminal, or carrying an ID Card around , like a criminal, or anything along those lines. There are many other ways to keep this country safe without making everyone feel like they have done something wrong.

ID cards would simplify things, make it easier to identify who you are. So if (or when, for many), you get stopped, it makes the whole stressful experience quicker and less stressful. Also let's the authorities get on quicker.

Just think how many different forms of ID their are, and then what if the 'suspect' isn't carrying any? How much time, cost and hassle is it for the authorities to verify.

I wouldn't mind carrying an ID card around, i'm not doing anything wrong.

Every time I go for a job interview or apply for something I need to take three forms (generally the really important ones) and some form of bill, if not a bank statement as well. How much info am I giving every tom, dick, harry or fly by night company my whole life's details... Surely a single card which could verify all those other bits would simplify things?

The mistake you are making though is in thinking that nudie scanners will keep you safe.

And if you don't mind strangers getting a look, why not go and flash a passing bus? You wouldn't I expect, and that's why people generally don't feel comfortable with strangers checking them out in an effectively naked image.

Most pervs have an imagination anyway...

ID cards would simplify things, make it easier to identify who you are. So if (or when, for many), you get stopped, it makes the whole stressful experience quicker and less stressful. Also let's the authorities get on quicker.

Just think how many different forms of ID their are, and then what if the 'suspect' isn't carrying any? How much time, cost and hassle is it for the authorities to verify.

I wouldn't mind carrying an ID card around, i'm not doing anything wrong.

Every time I go for a job interview or apply for something I need to take three forms (generally the really important ones) and some form of bill, if not a bank statement as well. How much info am I giving every tom, dick, harry or fly by night company my whole life's details... Surely a single card which could verify all those other bits would simplify things?

Don't you think this would make things easier for a would-be terrorist as well..one bit of ID (the card) and Bob's your uncle...

I have never felt personally threatened by terrorism, but have a permanent anxiety about the harm that politicians will cause me.

It isn't Islamic extremism that has brought this country to its knees, - it's the combined greed of politicians and bankers.

Well, i'd say crime perpetuated by warlords (heroin growers, people traffickers, arms dealers) who under the auspices of Islam fought those who try to stop them which brought on a war, which the banks bank rolled in our name.

But isn't the current economic climate different to this threads topic?

and as for the idea that being naked will stop you being a suicide bomber, as long as human beings have stomachs this will not be true, it will merely limit the size of the explosion

an average human stomach can hold about 1 litre of food, more with practice, a fact exploited by drug traffickers to great effect, replace the drugs with explosives and include a timer in one of the pellets, so they suffer chronic indigestion for a while, big deal they're going to commit suicide anyway, I'm not sure of the explosive effect of around a litre of semtex but I reckon it would make a big enough hole in a plane to bring it down

still think these scanners are going to make you safe ?

Repeated because at least someone knows what it's all about, but just probably not semtex...

I've been carrying ID cards of one sort or another for nearly 40 years. I don't find that having an ID card is an invasion of privacy, but I do find that it allows me access to certain things to which I need access (always useful.) - No ID card - No access.

Yes exactly, most people just don't think that logically, scarred by the media.

To anyone who cares, open your purse, wallet, etc, how many forms of ID do you have?

More than one?

Making it a legal requirement to carry a card at all times strikes me as a bit like being in a police state.

And linking a huge amount of data to the card and storing it in a massive database is a) unnecessary and b) a huge risk to my data.

Forms of ID already exist as you've pointed out, why do we need another?

We do carry ID anyway, why would a single unified form of ID make it any more of an inconvenience.

Databases, what you think anyone else's databases are any more secure than the governments?

Archived