£10 passages to Australia

We emigrated to Oz in 1967 and have never regretted doing so. The family were mum(me), dad, 2yr old and 4yr old. We have managed 4 trips back and have enjoyed each one. We became Aussies in 1968. My husband tried for British nationality in England but was refused without a reason. He was a Hungarian refugee. He is a very hard working, kind, loyal friend and honest person. We love australia and our family are now grown and living a very good life with their own families. Our standard of living has been the best. We are proud of what we have achieved.

Do you think it's still a good place to come for young couples? I'm constantly trying to get the kids to emigrate, just so I can go with them somewhere nice ... I need positive role models to quote :D

I think maybe oz for work and climate ,whenever I"am in s.e. asia you tend to meet a lot of canadians escaping winter. Iv'e worked in canada the winters are just to cold for you to do anything.I"ve lived in australia on and off since 1969 and have worked all over the place and depending on what your kids do for a living it"s quite hard to emigrate here now .theres still a bit of a boom in W.A at the moment on some of the mines and off shore, good money and tax allowences the trades in demand are welders mig and tig ,semi tralier drivers, and boilermakers .....and pole dancers.

I had a mate, Jeff Scholey, he went on that scheme and stayed a number of years also New Zealand, but he came back. Don't ask why. Gerry knows him.

Hi Texas, we meet again. I knew a Jeff Scholey, i'm wondering if it's the same one? The guy I knew I think came from the Page Hall/Owler Lane area, I thought he had emigrated to Canada, but could be wrong on that. It was also my understanding he eventually returned to the UK after many years away but has since passed away.

I think maybe oz for work and climate ,whenever I"am in s.e. asia you tend to meet a lot of canadians escaping winter. Iv'e worked in canada the winters are just to cold for you to do anything.I"ve lived in australia on and off since 1969 and have worked all over the place and depending on what your kids do for a living it"s quite hard to emigrate here now .theres still a bit of a boom in W.A at the moment on some of the mines and off shore, good money and tax allowences the trades in demand are welders mig and tig ,semi tralier drivers, and boilermakers .....and pole dancers.
Thanks for the info, I lean to NZ or Canada personally. They do a lot of winter sports and surfing/sailing, and I'm not sure about how much snow you get in Oz? Neither of them do anything like what you mention though. They both have B.Eng.Honours degrees in Computer Sciences, and somehow I can't see my daughter either down a mine or pole dancing, so maybe not Oz then? :D

why did people decide to leave Britain? I didn't think jobs etc were difficult to get in the 60s?
They had a sense of adventure? Wanted a better climate? Better standard of living? The heyday of emigration to Oz was more in the 50s, after the war, imo. My father was desperate to go, but my mother didn't want to leave her family. Before the Swinging 60s, it was pretty grim around these parts. The New World beckoned with the promise of a better life.

The New World beckoned with the promise of a better life.

It seems to have worked for most people responding on the thread but my neighbour tells a different story, they where housed in a dank concrete prefabricated house and were alienated by the locals before returning to the UK.

I also worked with some one that took his family over about 20 years ago; he and the kids loved it but his wife couldn’t integrate so they came home.

It seems to have worked for most people responding on the thread but my neighbour tells a different story, they where housed in a dank concrete prefabricated house and were alienated by the locals before returning to the UK.

I have never heard of anything like that Malky, we were called whinging poms because a lot of poms thought they were coming to England in the sun and found fault in everything, needless to say they didn't do their research very well.

We were housed in hostels that had a canteen etc, etc, similar to Butlins holiday camps, people could move off at anytime and find a place of their own, houses, flats and units were readily available, so it was just a place to stay until you found the right place and job for the individual, some people stayed until they saved a deposit on a new home, or put their names down on the council house list that had an 18 month waiting period.

This was the crowd that came the same time as us sitting outside our unit, their were 4 units to a block, and it was like an army camp, it served it's purpose, it put a roof over our head until we found a house to rent that suited us.

scan0023.jpg

Archived