Spice Market Cafe - Review

Astraeus

Date reviewed: 26 March 2010

THIS visit to Spice Market Cafe came about on the occasion of my birthday and presented six of us with an opportunity to, for the second time since it opened earlier this year, sample Spice Market Cafe's fusion of eastern and western cooking having been wowed by it on our first appearance at the sleek Ecclesall Road venue.

Fearful of not being able to get a table on a Friday evening, we arrived just before 7pm to see a restaurant already seating about 15 diners. We were shown to our seats by a polite young man and we snacked on the full selection of 'nibbles' whilst waiting for two members of the party to arrive. The pappadums and pickle tray went down a treat and did not last long. The crispy seaweed was interesting and, in the end, enjoyed by all. I couldn't comment on the olives as I am not a fan and so ignored their presence. The prawn crackers were pleasant, if unremarkable, and the edamame beans proved a success - albeit after each of the party had already taken to eating the beans with their casing on and suffering a rather challenging 'chew'.

The starters picked were a universal success. The squid, a particular favourite of two of the group from our previous outing, went down well with the only criticism directed at it - from a harsh critic no less - that it was slightly overcooked whilst remaining somewhat rubbery. My prawn fishcakes, whilst not the delight I remembered them being, were enjoyable. I was informed that the red jelly on top of the prawn cakes were a delicacy - flying fish eggs. These are a burst of fishy flavour and they really divided opinion amongst the group but fish-lovers will see no harm in them. The barbecued ribs were, once again, a roaring success shared by all. They truly are a marvellous starter despite the portion appearing, at first glace, to be enough to fill up a mains dish. The soup went down without comment.

I elected to stick with the miso cod for my main course having been blown away by the dish on my first visit to SMC. This time I found it lacking. It was not that it was inedible. Far from it, it was still an absolutely lovely dish. However, it was slightly overcooked compared to the first time of having it and the flavour wasn't quite so strong. I wouldn't hesitate to pick it again though - it was cooked to perfection and the spices are simply a treat. Elsewhere on the table, the mains went down well and were all met with approval save for one of the party who had ordered the rib-eye steak. Several of us testified to the fact that the 'medium' steak was actually slightly undercooked, more on the side of medium rare, and it made a non-steak eater slightly uneasy. The flavour was bold and satisfying regardless.

Whilst always remaining polite and attentive, the staff at times can be full-on and keen, almost to the point of making you feel pestered. Fortunately, the collective thirst at the table meant we always required at least a refill of the juge of water but a few less trips stating that they'd "return in a minute" to collect plates would have been appreciated, especially when people still have half-full plates of food in front of them. This was not a universal criticism of the staff and they are very chirpy, engaging and well-mannered on the whole.

By the time of leaving, the place was full with another party standing at the bar waiting to be seated. The over-enthusiasm over the waiting staff could have been down to the fact that it was now almost 8pm on a Friday evening and they wanted shot of us. Regardless, the prices at SMC should allow for a little wiggle-room with sitting about after a meal and not leave you feeling like you've been ushered from the restaurant.

It is obvious that SMC is cooking on gas. It was full to the brim of customers by 8pm and one would imagine that level of custom continued late into the evening. It's success is also no wonder. There is a fantastic array of dishes to choose from and it is unlikely that any dish will leave you feeling deflated - the eclectic arrangement of flavours and spices points to an individual, and ultimately very successul, take on cooking which has twice satisfied the most demanding of parties.

The prices are reflective of the nature of the restaurant with two courses, nibbles and no drinks coming in at £22 per person. It is a price worth paying, however, for a meal which leaves you feeling pleasantly full with no heaviness and no quibbles. This remains right up there as one of my personal favourites on Sheffield's restaurant scene.

Food: :D (4/5)

Service: :( (3/5)

Value: :o (3/5)

OVERALL: :) (3.5/5)

• 1 month later...

we went tonight, it started well, but went quickly down hill.

I wouldn't recommend the pad Thai, it had no flavour, the starters were good.

Service was pretty bad, we had to chase the staff for drinks and to order dessert and at the end of it all they over charged us by £25!!

Elsewhere on the table, the mains went down well and were all met with approval save for one of the party who had ordered the rib-eye steak. Several of us testified to the fact that the 'medium' steak was actually slightly undercooked, more on the side of medium rare, and it made a non-steak eater slightly uneasy. The flavour was bold and satisfying regardless.

I have eaten at Thyme Cafe and Canteen and had bad steaks on both occasions. What is it with this group and the lack of ability to cook a steak to the customers liking. NOT THAT HARD is it?

they over charged us by £25!!

Same happened to us at SMC and other people have said the same in the other forum threads too. My mum also commented that it's happened to her at Artisan a few times too. It seems a strange coincidence that Richard Smith venues seem to overcharge so often.

I've not tried this place yet and am not likely to at this rate. I've heard nothing but bad reviews, which is a shame.

The last time I went to Canteen, I was almost smoked out of there and spent the evening choking and wiping my streaming eyes thanks to some inept cooking in the kitchen.

I went to Artisan last week and ordered a belly roast pork - now surely you would expect that to come topped with a lovely thick layer of crackling? It didn't, when I asked where it was, I was told that there wasn't any. The service was dire and incredibly slow for a lunchtime when the place was practically empty.

We went a few weeks ago, it was a Friday night and not very busy, which was handy as we hadn't booked anywhere else. When we phoned SMC they said they don't take bookings and you just turn up. Food was tasty, nice homemade puddings, and service ok too. I guess everyones tastes are different but I'd say its worth a try and make up your own mind.

If anyone is interested, if you join this club http://www.kgbdeals.co.uk/, you can then buy a six month membership to The Gourmet Society (http://www.gourmetsociety.co.uk/restaurant_locator.php) for 99p. This is essentially like the Hi-Life card, at certain places you can get 2-1 on your meals. Mostly the usual (Cafe Rouge and so on, if you're clinically depressed, but also at The Spice Market Cafe and Inn at Trowey, Canteen, Loch Fyne . . . ).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived