Beginning of my first novel. All advice appreciated!!

Amaranthus

Well, you hate me, so I really wanted to equally loathe this *grins*, but sadly, it was very nicely written indeed.

Well, actually, if you recall, I kind of waved the white flag by posting (hopefully helpful :hihi:) advice for you on your ebay thread the other day. ;) I don't hold grudges.

You have a very descriptive style, and for (what I guess) is your first attempt at prose, it really does read very nicely. You have an easy style with some exceptionally descriptive imagery.

There's also a sadness to your writing, which is quite charming.

I'd ignore other people on the use of wording. No matter what anyone tells you, remember that YOU set the style for your work. Be individual and don't conform if you don't want to.

Do stick to US or UK English, though (preferably UK English).

Lastly, these chapters are very short for a novel. Are these just the edited parts?

Keep writing. Very nice stuff. I don't normally read the lot as it's easy to see someone's style but this was genuinely really nice.

See, look how NICE I can be?

I bet you don't attack me for 'jumping into this post at the 11th hour" :P

:)

Thanks. I know the chapters are quite short. I think I'm going to get the whole story down and then probably merge some chapters together and move some around etc., so I'm not flitting back and forth too much.

Archived