Remembering Jeff Scholey

Texas

...Geoff had a younger sister who I remember distinctly, I seem to think she had somewhat of an unusual name, but for the life of me can't recall it right now!
If her name was Beulah and she was 2½ years younger than Geoff, then this seems to confirm that we have the right Geoff and that, sadly, he died in 2001. This is because the births index gives Samuel Geoffrey Scholey's mother's maiden name as McClean. The index also shows a Beulah N.M. Scholey, mother's maiden name McClean, who was born in Sheffield in July-September 1936. It seems there were also at least two younger brothers - Theodore J.M. Scholey, born Apr-Jun 1939 and Oriel M. Scholey, born April-June 1945. .Beulah N.M. Scholey married Brian T. Wibberley in Sheffield in 1958. Brian died in Sheffield in 1986 and three years later Beulah married again, in Mansfield, to Terence W. Wilson. She was evidently still alive as of 2006.

Well, that's the man in question, just as I remember him, with that sly grin, always looking to find the funny side to a situation. I take it the dude doing the dancing is you, Gerry. Actually I remember you, I don't think we spoke much back then, but then again I was too cool for my own good. They were good old days though and that shot certainly takes one back. Thanks for putting it on the thread.

Mr hillsboro - Thank you, you are a dab hand at this research stuff, as usual you are spot on, Beulah was her name and with the added info, it makes it great, it actually enforces my memory skills, by getting that down on paper i've got room for somthing else now. *** By the way, I read yours and Mrs hillsboro's story on the other thread, how wonderful for you both and congratulations on your recent anniversary!

Hi fleetwood - thanks for your congratulations; Marion and I literally couldn't be happier. When I am "home" in North Lincs. tomorrow I'll see if Beulah is listed on the 2004 electoral roll (which I have on a CD). If so, and if you or anyone else would like the address, I'll be happy to share it via a PM.

Well, that's the man in question, just as I remember him, with that sly grin, always looking to find the funny side to a situation. I take it the dude doing the dancing is you, Gerry. Actually I remember you, I don't think we spoke much back then, but then again I was too cool for my own good. They were good old days though and that shot certainly takes one back. Thanks for putting it on the thread.

You're welcome Texas. and you are right.

Just another little anecdote. Not a lot of lads had cars in the 50s, and if you missed the last bus/tram, you walked. Jeff and myself walked from town to Pitsmoor regulary. On one occasion we were heading down town and passing that little alleyway where the 'Old Bluebell' used to be (or maybe still is), we were discussing something and I was using rather industrial language. We'd both had had a pint or two and I was a bit loud and it being about two o'clock in the morning, sounded louder. The next thing I was being hauled over the coals by a cop for using bad language. I had to accompany him to the 'tardis' which was up the said alley and where he took my name and address, not the real one, 'Never give your real address, No, No, No,' ( Fats Waller). Jeff was close behind, grinning away, looking interestingly at the interior of the police box.

His first words when we finally got away was 'Quite sparse inside, them Police Boxes, aren't they', Having a laugh at my expense. I don't think he stopped laughing until we got to the bottom of Spital Hill.

Thanks for that Texas. Here's another.

Jeff and I went into the snug bar of a pub opposite the City one night and sat at a table with a couple of rough looking blokes was Big Ada. Well the air was blue with the bad language coming from the table and Jeff and I, not being used to such language, couldn't help but stare at them discreetly over the tops of our drinks. Suddenly Big Ada exclaimed loudly, "what the **** are you looking at". Well as she stood up you have never seen two grown men move as fast as we did. Even with her between us and the door we were able make it out of the snug bar through the bar and outside onto the street. When we had reached a safe distance from the pub we just collapsed in a heap laughing.

It should be noted that Big Ada was a very strong women, used to fighting men and would have been easily capable of picking one of us up and beating the whatsit out of the other one with him.

Hi,

I am writing on behalf of my father, Harry Scholey, and we have been reading your posts with delight! It's lovely to hear so much about my uncle Geoff(Jeff) and for my dad to read about your memories of his brother. If you would like to know anything let us know,

Harry

Hi,

I am writing on behalf of my father, Harry Scholey, and we have been reading your posts with delight! It's lovely to hear so much about my uncle Geoff(Jeff) and for my dad to read about your memories of his brother. If you would like to know anything let us know,

Harry

Harry,

It was really good to hear from you and it's nice to know that the above posts gave both you and your dad some pleasure. My friendship with your uncle Jeff was only short time in the way of things, some three years, but we had a great time together and I have very fond memories of one of the happiest periods of my life. We did a lot of things in that short period and it's just a shame that we couldn't get together one last time to reminisce. Good luck to you and your dad and I will PM you later.

I guess I'll just second everything that Gerry said about you and your Dad enjoying the reminiscences. I think it might've been your Dad who was present when I went to see Jeff at Beighton, it seems like about five minutes ago. The only thing I regret is that I didn't make more of an effort to keep in touch with him. I keep remembering little bits, usually funny. When he came down to Southampton I took him to a place called Dibden Bay. At that time I was in the middle of an ornithological survey for the R.S.P.B, which consisted of counting bird numbers over a given period. Anyhow Jeff said he'd come along, but it was a rough old area and he hadn't got the footwear, so I fixed him up with a pair of wellingtons. The thing was though they were concreting wellingtons and very heavy with steel toecaps and reinforced heels. I think they tired him out. We went in a pub on the way back and people were staring at the boots. Jeff remarked that the only thing lacking was that he hadn't got a bolt through his neck like the real Frankenstein's monster.

Gerry mentioned the band on his post accompanying the photograph, Barry Whitworth's Savoy Quinted. Well, one night at the Black Swan, the great bass player Kenny Napper sat in with the band borrowing Pat Crapper's bass. After retuning the bass, and giving it a close inspection, he did a couple of numbers with the band. Jeff wasn't the one to miss a chance for a bit of humor, 'Bloody helll,' he said ' It's Napper and Crapper.' Lovely lad Jeff was.

Archived