How do 'you' deal with stress?

I identify 2 main levels of stress...

1) Every day "stress" - this is stress that ends when the day ends, so it can easily be handled with an end of the day therapy such as a relaxing bath, alcohol, sexual release, music, exercise and other forms of "unwinding".

2) Medium-long term stress - this is stress that spans perhaps a week, month or more and cannot simply be forgotten using typical stress relief methods like above, because when you wake up tomorrow the problem is still going to be there, and it often causes you to stop enjoying every day activities.

Long term stress can only be dealt with through a change of perception, which isn't easy. You need to see your problems as part of what will make you who you are in the future. The negative energy from these problems needs to be channelled into creative projects. This is why anger is a gift - energy. If you can make negative energy work in your favour now, you will look back on these troubled times with a great sense of pride and accomplishment. You will almost see the stress as a blessing, because it made you who you are today. Steely, determined, independent and strong.

It's not easy, but anyone who thinks drinking, eating or smoking to escape long term problems is an appropriate response will just wake up tomorrow feeling the same way they did yesterday. Take action. NOW GOD DAMMIT!!!!

1) Every day "stress" - this is stress that ends when the day ends, so it can easily be handled with an end of the day therapy such as a relaxing bath, alcohol, sexual release, music, exercise and other forms of "unwinding".

2) Medium-long term stress - this is stress that spans perhaps a week, month or more and cannot simply be forgotten using typical stress relief methods like above, because when you wake up tomorrow the problem is still going to be there, and it often causes you to stop enjoying every day activities.

Long term stress can only be dealt with through a change of perception, which isn't easy. You need to see your problems as part of what will make you who you are in the future. The negative energy from these problems needs to be channelled into creative projects. This is why anger is a gift - energy. If you can make negative energy work in your favour now, you will look back on these troubled times with a great sense of pride and accomplishment. You will almost see the stress as a blessing, because it made you who you are today.

It's not easy, but anyone who thinks drinking, eating or smoking to escape long term problems is an appropriate response will just wake up tomorrow feeling the same way they did yesterday. Take action. NOW GOD DAMMIT!!!!

This is a very intelligent reply. How do you know all this ?

Long term stress can only be dealt with through a change of perception, which isn't easy. You need to see your problems as part of what will make you who you are in the future. The negative energy from these problems needs to be channelled into creative projects. This is why anger is a gift - energy. If you can make negative energy work in your favour now, you will look back on these troubled times with a great sense of pride and accomplishment. You will almost see the stress as a blessing, because it made you who you are today. Steely, determined, independent and strong.

Will being creative pay your mortgage, cure a terminal illness, bring your partner back, stop you from being sent to prison etc....

Can altering your mental state trully change thinks that are beyond your control in the physical world?

Sounds great, but may take a little more than steely determination. Add a fag, pint of beer and a pork pie, and I think you are onto a winner :hihi:;)

Will being creative pay your mortgage, cure a terminal illness, bring your partner back, stop you from being sent to prison etc....

Can altering your mental state trully change thinks that are beyond your control in the physical world?

Well then you have to ask what is really stopping you from paying your mortgage? I'm not saying it's not a difficult situation, but to assume no action can be taken to overcome it is unnecessarily pessimistic (which just leads to more stress).

As for death and other things that are beyond your physical control, my point was focussing on the response to the negative energy that these events create. No, you can't bring them back, but you know that some day, somewhere along the line, you will want to be moving on and getting on. Ideally, you want to look back on these times and feel glad you turned that negative energy into a creative spark, and at least got the ball rolling sooner rather than later. What other options do you have? Smoking, drinking and eating pie won't help with these kinds of problems.

Losing myself in a good movie, or blowing the heads off people on an online gaming session or three usually helps for me. Preferably with a large scotch.

A good gaming session works for me too most of the time. Then some smart so and so who is better than me comes and stresses me out again :rant::hihi:

A good gaming session works for me too most of the time. Then some smart so and so who is better than me comes and stresses me out again :rant::hihi:

Well just play with friends and keep it casual - the banter helps, rather than hardcore gaming!

Archived