How do 'you' deal with stress?

Well then you have to ask what is really stopping you from paying your mortgage? I'm not saying it's not a difficult situation, but to assume no action can be taken to overcome it is unnecessarily pessimistic (which just leads to more stress).

As for death and other things that are beyond your physical control, my point was focussing on the response to the negative energy that these events create. No, you can't bring them back, but you know that some day, somewhere along the line, you will want to be moving on and getting on. Ideally, you want to look back on these times and feel glad you turned that negative energy into a creative spark, and at least got the ball rolling sooner rather than later. What other options do you have? Smoking, drinking and eating pie won't help with these kinds of problems.

I spend all my money on pork pies :blush:!

Just kiddin'! You have given some good advice, and it may be useful to people reading the thread. That was my idea when starting it.

Thank you epiphany :thumbsup:

More of the same please people!

Meditation and mindfulness did amazing things for me. As a friend said 'Blimey, if it works for you it'll work for anyone.' :hihi:

Walks in the country, becoming absorbed in a constructive hobby/activity, staring at the sea (not easy round here but you get the idea) as well as the sit-down-and-count-your-breaths thing, all encourage a meditative state of mind. If done regularly, you become less reactive and wound up. The technical term for it is a 'flow state'.

It doesn't fend of all the major emotional crisis points but it does help.

As epiphany says, you can't always control what happens to you but you can do something about how you respond to it. :)

Meditation and mindfulness did amazing things for me. As a friend said 'Blimey, if it works for you it'll work for anyone.' :hihi:

Walks in the country, becoming absorbed in a constructive hobby/activity, staring at the sea (not easy round here but you get the idea) as well as the sit-down-and-count-your-breaths thing, all encourage a meditative state of mind. If done regularly, you become less reactive and wound up. The technical term for it is a 'flow state'.

It doesn't fend of all the major emotional crisis points but it does help.

As epiphany says, you can't always control what happens to you but you can do something about how you respond to it. :)

Meditation is the way for me. You can really concentrate on things that are necessary, and cut out everything that isnt.

Meditation is the way for me. You can really concentrate on things that are necessary, and cut out everything that isnt.

I think this is probably the right way to deal with stress, after all, most of our problems are in our minds and, 'generally', wont harm us in the physical.

I haven't done Tai Chi but I have done a bit of Qi Gong which is very similar - I thought I'd get impatient with the slowness, but it's quite mesmerising and you feel strong and calm afterwards. I think something really important about all the meditative arts is that they make you aware of being in your body, we tend to get caught up in thoughts in our head and lose track of being in a body that inhabits the environment around us. It also forces us to focus on the here and now, when we spend so much time worrying about what's coming up in the future, or dwelling on what happened in the past (I'm terrible for that one!) that we forget about what's happening now and being able to enjoy the moment. :)

I haven't done Tai Chi but I have done a bit of Qi Gong which is very similar - I thought I'd get impatient with the slowness, but it's quite mesmerising and you feel strong and calm afterwards. I think something really important about all the meditative arts is that they make you aware of being in your body, we tend to get caught up in thoughts in our head and lose track of being in a body that inhabits the environment around us. It also forces us to focus on the here and now, when we spend so much time worrying about what's coming up in the future, or dwelling on what happened in the past (I'm terrible for that one!) that we forget about what's happening now and being able to enjoy the moment. :)

I have never heard of Qi Gong purdy. I must google it, and find out more about it.

This is a really, really,really interesting question.

I wake up in the morning. How do I know whether I'm stressed or not?

I don't know. (But I don't worry about it, either.)

If there is a pressing problem then Louis (one of my dogs) will probably be dancing on my kidneys. - I doesn't hurt, but I can't ignore it and I'm well aware he's under stress (or his bladder is) so I let both of the dogs out for a pee.

I'm up. I drink a litre of coffee. We (me and the dogs) go out.

If it's winter, we stay at the lower levels. If it's summer, we go up into the mountains.

Then we come back.

Sometimes I go somewhere else, then I come back.

I live in a place called 'Paradise'. I enjoy living here.

... Sorry, what was the question?

Well then you have to ask what is really stopping you from paying your mortgage? I'm not saying it's not a difficult situation, but to assume no action can be taken to overcome it is unnecessarily pessimistic (which just leads to more stress).

As for death and other things that are beyond your physical control, my point was focussing on the response to the negative energy that these events create. No, you can't bring them back, but you know that some day, somewhere along the line, you will want to be moving on and getting on. Ideally, you want to look back on these times and feel glad you turned that negative energy into a creative spark, and at least got the ball rolling sooner rather than later. What other options do you have? Smoking, drinking and eating pie won't help with these kinds of problems.

My bold

Well, they certainly help me!! :hihi:

Archived