How do 'you' deal with stress?

Physical exercise does help, I work a little, only part time and have dogs to look after and exercise. That keeps me going. There are different levels of stress, but once you get up to the higher levels i.e. cancer, losing a partner, losing a child you find you cant handle it yourself without help. Thats what Macmillan Cancer Care is all about, helping with the emotional side of it. When you see a Macmillan charity box and you have a few coppers spare, chuck 'em in. The support they give is tremendous. Without Macmillan many sufferers would be suicidal.

Deep breaths and smiling. Both relax you physiologically! Also seizing all the good moments so you have something nice to compare the rubbish moments with :)

I personally don't find exercise helps. By the time you've gone through the ordeal of getting to the sweaty swimming pool/gym/fitness class I feel worse.

I have to deal with stress/anxiety every day. I have cancer and have been given a 50/50 chance of surviving 5 or more years. You talk rubbish Mr Bennett. I deal with it by the distraction method, when panic attacks come on I find something to do that I enjoy doing. Cognitive therapy and counselling helps as well but not always. We all TRY to deal with it in our own ways but drugs are sometimes necessary. Gordon Bennets statement proves he has never experienced high level stress and I hope he never has to.

I hope so too.

My step mother has recently had her breast removed due to cancer. She is a strong person in general, but sometimes finds it hard to deal with the worry that the disease may still present in her body, and regularly takes drugs to help keep her calm.

I wish you well Nimrod, keep enjoying what you enjoy doing.:)

My eldest son died due to diabetic complications in June 08...he was buried the day after fathers day. Adams ( my son ) birthday was Oct 1st and mine is Oct 3rd . I had bereavement counselling for nearly a year and have been on blood pressure tablets since he died ...So far in my life i've : seen Sheff Wed get relegated , gone through a divorce and been knocked off my motorcycle .I thought i could handle pressure...BUT those are nothing compared to throwing roses into your sons grave...i get told by people it " WILL " get better.. but WHEN ..?

This grieving process certainly takes some getting used to ....thanks for taking time to read this , and to any recently bereaved parents, "I KNOW " what you're going through ...regards GUZZIOWL

My eldest son died due to diabetic complications in June 08...he was buried the day after fathers day. Adams ( my son ) birthday was Oct 1st and mine is Oct 3rd . I had bereavement counselling for nearly a year and have been on blood pressure tablets since he died ...So far in my life i've : seen Sheff Wed get relegated , gone through a divorce and been knocked off my motorcycle .I thought i could handle pressure...BUT those are nothing compared to throwing roses into your sons grave...i get told by people it " WILL " get better.. but WHEN ..?

This grieving process certainly takes some getting used to ....thanks for taking time to read this , and to any recently bereaved parents, "I KNOW " what you're going through ...regards GUZZIOWL

I am so sorry GUZZIOWL, and know that everyone who reads this will share my sentiments.

I would like to say how brave you are for sharing your tragedy with everyone. I must admit that I was not prepared for anything like this when I started this thread. It puts a lot of things on here into perspective.

I hope that through this forum you will connect with other people who have some experience in dealing with such a tragedy.

Good luck with the future, and treasure the memories.

• 1 month later...

Got a bit stressed at work today.

Thought about those people that are a lot worse off than me, kicked myself up the backside, licked my wounds and got on with my day. Worked for me!

Archived