Are Christians discriminated against in the UK?

But who appointed these quangocrats to pronounce on matters of religious doctrine? What right do they have to lecture a devout woman about her cherished beliefs?

This case is nothing to do with religious doctrine. This case is nothing to do with a devout woman and her cherished beliefs (...which she can't be all that devout about anyway, or she'd have sold her goods, given to the poor and gone out preaching the gospel instead of selling her labour for money...).

It's about a paid employee seeking to be exempt from a H&S rule regarding wearing of a necklace. Unless she can find others that are allowed to wear necklesses at work, she has no claim for discrimination.

Are all the various head dress's worn by Muslims a requirement of their religion?

Are they a H&S hazard? People in the food industry have to wear hairnets, etc. for instance, to prevent contamination. They probably reduce the risk of infection. Whether they are required or not is not the issue.

What I am saying is quite simple and obvious. The most influential factor in determining any given person's religion is not study or divine revelation but geography.

I don't think you're stupid because your parents were Christians.

Good.

All I can say is that if you have ever been on the Christian forums then you will know how long and hard and seriously they debate their faith, whereas in most cases the atheist simply walks away and says, "I can't be bothered with all that stuff." Comparing those two groups I suggest the Christians are the better informed, but either way I don't really mind what you think John. :)

Christianity is good. Jesus preached a positivly beneficial message. The Ten Commandments keep us and our families safe and the Bible is a faithful record of all that happened with nothing taken out. The 'bad' bits considering the Bible comprises 66 books are few and far between and it is easy for atheists to separate out the good from the bad and this is what they cherry pick without even taking it in context and if you take time to study the Bible you will find that the bad things all point towards the law makers and the rulers.

(My bold.)

Earlier in this thread, you said the OT was for jews and the NT was for christians. Now you, a self-confessed christian, are speaking up for the 10 commandments. Do you not see the inconsistency? Make your mind up.

In other words the cause of all the trouble lies with the people who were a stiff stiff-necked and disobedient people.

...who, according to the babble (...which is "is a faithful record of all that happened with nothing taken out". Your words.) were made by god. Cocked up just a tad then, did he?

For a lot of people it is simply a box they tick on the census form.

Precisely.

'cos they never thought about it, or couldn't be arsed.

But the religious authorities are happy enough to use every tick to illustrate how this is a christian country and therefore they deserve special privileges. They obviously missed the one about bearing false witness.

What I am saying is quite simple and obvious. The most influential factor in determining any given person's religion is not study or divine revelation but geography.

I don't think you're stupid because your parents were Christians.

I think that's a really interesting point, and not one that I'd really thought about.

You could say that most Muslims in Pakistan merely follow orthodoxy of the birth place, while it shows real faith to be a Christian in Pakistan; and visa versa, it shows real faith to be Musim in somewhere like Norway

Good.

All I can say is that if you have ever been on the Christian forums then you will know how long and hard and seriously they debate their faith, whereas in most cases the atheist simply walks away and says, "I can't be bothered with all that stuff." Comparing those two groups I suggest the Christians are the better informed, but either way I don't really mind what you think John. :)

You can't debate god into existence if there is none. Come up with some evidence other than ancient writings, and talk about how to interpret them, and you'll have my full attention.

Can I just make my standard interjection here?

Belief in God is a matter of faith. Arguing over 'proof' of his existence or not is a fools errand and will get you nowhere.

That is a very recent argument.

According to the bible Jesus didn't come down to earth and say "I am god, believe in me because of faith". No he had to prove it, he had to do loads of miracles and stupid stuff.

I can't remember what passage it is but there is another part in the bible where a whole town refuses to believe in god (this was before he returned in hippy form).

God actually does prove his existence to various people's several times in the bible, and if they still didn't believe in him (which actually did happen a few times, imagine that, god appearing before you yet still worshipping "false idols":rolleyes: sounds very likely, right?) he was quite likely to kill him for not believing in him.

It is only recently, that is has become so very easy to prove that Christianity, Islam, and Judaism are without any doubt whatsoever completely not true that people have started peddling the argument that you have here.

I guess my point in brief is that even people who spoke to Jesus themselves asked for proof, so why shouldn't I?

Archived