Are Christians discriminated against in the UK?

It looks like the Church are about to fight back against the unjust discrimination they are facing.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article7098299.ece

"Judges who have already shown a “lack of understanding of Christian beliefs” should stand down, he said."

The fact that rulings may have gone against christians should not necessarily be taken to indicate that christians beliefs are not understood. Merely that other aspects of the cases are more compelling.

"With Lord Carey’s backing he also wants a permanent panel of judges to be established, with a “proven sensitivity and understanding of religious issues.” "

...or, to paraphrase, "Let's get back to when christian sensitivities could ride roughshod over all other considerations, such as H&S and the rights of others.":rolleyes:

He isn't interested in what is fair; only that christians should be discriminated for.

Still no evidence of discrimination against christians yet. Just that they can no longer expect to be discriminated for in every case.

It's just astonishing that these people can in all seriousness demand that they get their own panel of tame judges to hear all cases involving Xian demanding special rights.

So should everyone get judges specially selected to be biased towards them or just Christians? Because I expect no end of groups - honour killers, paedophiles, tax evaders, chiropractors... would like to ability to demand judges who will find for them.

Questioning and debate about christian teaching. This thread is supposed to be about whether or not christians are discriminated against in the UK.

OK.

No I don't think christians are discriminated against in the UK: just forgotten, somewhat ignored, or often target of ridicule, and accusation.

So, at worst I see it as a 'sticks and stones' situation.

It's just astonishing that these people can in all seriousness demand that they get their own panel of tame judges to hear all cases involving Xian demanding special rights.

So should everyone get judges specially selected to be biased towards them or just Christians? Because I expect no end of groups - honour killers, paedophiles, tax evaders, chiropractors... would like to ability to demand judges who will find for them.

Xian is a weird term. I understand what it means and that it comes from the abbreviation Xmas, but it looks more Chinese than anything. I wouldn't use it myself because it looks too much like a silly affectation.

Xian is a weird term. I understand what it means and that it comes from the abbreviation Xmas, but it looks more Chinese than anything. I wouldn't use it myself because it looks too much like a silly affectation.

It doesn't come from the abbreviation Xmas.

Xmas and Xian have the same root, in the X being a "Chi" or K sound in the Greek alphabet

I never knew that. I still prefer to see Christmas and Christian spelled out properly and don't like the pronunciation 'exmass' that people use.

Is Xian considered an acceptable abbreviation amongst Christians?

Some don't like it, some are indifferent.

The fact is people have been abbreviating Christ as Xi or Xp for 500 years, it's not going to stop now.

I looked it up and evidently Xtian is preferred as it avoids confusion with the Chinese city of Xian.

To me it just looks like text speak and I'll use the word christian in preference, capitalised or not depending on how respectful I'm feeling towards followers of that religion.

I looked it up and evidently Xtian is preferred as it avoids confusion with the Chinese city of Xian.

To me it just looks like text speak and I'll use the word christian in preference, capitalised or not depending on how respectful I'm feeling towards followers of that religion.

And of course the word 'Christianity' would not be confused with a Chinese city either. :)

Archived