Are Christians discriminated against in the UK?

Think of any job. You are saying if someone refuses to do it on religious grounds they are in trouble, but if you refuse on grounds other than religion then that is OK and your job is safe.

Talking of crazy mixed up logic, the paragraph I have highlighted would win top prize. If someone objects to abortion, they are NOT going to apply for a job as an abortionist. :loopy:

You'd like to think so, wouldn't you?

"Catholic doctor wins victory for conscience

By Anna Arco

12 September 2008

A trainee doctor threatened with dismissal by his employers for refusing to violate his conscience over abortion referrals and contraception has been vindicated.

With the help of the Thomas More Legal Centre the GP, who cannot be named, received confirmation from the General Medical Council (GMC) that he was acting according to professional medical rules and could not be dismissed or failed in his training for refusing to give abortion advice and prescribe contraceptives."

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/articles/a0000369.shtml

Sadly (to some people) it appears that it is perfectly possible for people to work in jobs wherein it is possible to refuse procedures under religious reasons

You'd like to think so, wouldn't you?

"Catholic doctor wins victory for conscience

By Anna Arco

12 September 2008

A trainee doctor threatened with dismissal by his employers for refusing to violate his conscience over abortion referrals and contraception has been vindicated.

With the help of the Thomas More Legal Centre the GP, who cannot be named, received confirmation from the General Medical Council (GMC) that he was acting according to professional medical rules and could not be dismissed or failed in his training for refusing to give abortion advice and prescribe contraceptives."

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/articles/a0000369.shtml

So ask milquetoast1 to explain what they meant about fairies in post 1063 when they said this:

"So you are absolutely free to believe in fairies if you want to, but don't expect the courts to protect you if you refuse to undertake your employer's request to dig up a section of roundabout if you claim there is a family of elves living in the daffodils"

So ask milquetoast1 to explain what they meant about fairies in post 1063 when they said this:

"So you are absolutely free to believe in fairies if you want to, but don't expect the courts to protect you if you refuse to undertake your employer's request to dig up a section of roundabout if you claim there is a family of elves living in the daffodils"

I would like nothing better than for milquetoast1 to post something that proves that the law has changed in the last couple of years! However, I am sure that any right minded person would agree with you (for once) that it is wrong to take a job that conflicts with one's own personal (whether influenced by religion or not) view.

And, speaking of personal, I thought you'd once said that you had me on ignore. So glad that you have demonstrated publically that you can see what I post, and I look forward to your engagement to my responses to your posts in future! :)

I'm not fully on top of this, but I thought that all medical staff could opt out of duties relating to abortion. It has nothing to do with whether or not the person is a Christian.

That was my understanding.

Going back to the point about the Christian marrige guidance worker, I was dissapointed that he tried to use his faith as an excuse not to work with gay couples. Jesus wouldn't have turned anyone away if they were gay.

I would like nothing better than for milquetoast1 to post something that proves that the law has changed in the last couple of years! However, I am sure that any right minded person would agree with you (for once) that it is wrong to take a job that conflicts with one's own personal (whether influenced by religion or not) view.

And, speaking of personal, I thought you'd once said that you had me on ignore. So glad that you have demonstrated publically that you can see what I post, and I look forward to your engagement to my responses to your posts in future! :)

It depends what you say. :D

I'm not fully on top of this, but I thought that all medical staff could opt out of duties relating to abortion. It has nothing to do with whether or not the person is a Christian.

Well, this is what the GMC has to say:

"Personal Beliefs and Medical Practice

1. In our core guidance, Good Medical Practice, we advise doctors that:

You must make the care of your patient your first concern ('The duties of a doctor').

You must treat your patients with respect, whatever their life choices and beliefs (paragraph 7).

You must not unfairly discriminate against patients by allowing your personal views to affect adversely your professional relationship with them or the treatment you provide or arrange (paragraph 7).

If carrying out a particular procedure or giving advice about it conflicts with your religious or moral beliefs, and this conflict might affect the treatment or advice you provide, you must explain this to the patient and tell them they have the right to see another doctor. You must be satisfied that the patient has sufficient information to enable them to exercise that right. If it is not practical for a patient to arrange to see another doctor, you must ensure that arrangements are made for another suitably qualified colleague to take over your role (paragraph 8).

You must not express to your patients your personal beliefs, including political, religious or moral beliefs, in ways that exploit their vulnerability or that are likely to cause them distress (paragraph 33) "

http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/ethical_guidance/personal_beliefs.asp#1

So, no, nothing desciminating against Christians there (going back to the OP) but you can 'opt out' as long as you refer the patient to a colleague who does not share your views.

That was my understanding.

Going back to the point about the Christian marrige guidance wroker, I was dissapointed that he tried to use his faith as an excuse not to work with gay couples. Jesus wouldn't have turned anyone away if they were gay.

I am sure Jesus would have done everything he could to save them being stoned by the Pharisees. Then he would have told them to go away and sin no more like he did with the woman caught in adultery.

I am sure Jesus would have done everything he could to save them being stoned by the Pharisees. Then he would have told them to go away and sin no more like he did with the woman caught in adultery.

"Sin"? Are you for real? Homophobe.

Archived