Are Christians discriminated against in the UK?

For Jews and Muslims: not eating pork. These religions started in hot countries, and pork goes off quickly. (Although I concede that it doesn't stop hot areas such as modern Thailand, and Viet Nam managing to still eat pork - although that may be because of poverty, they simply could not afford to disregard any source of protein). We still have a concept of only eating Pork when there is an "R" in the month - at least we did until the universal availability of fridges and freezers.

islam probably picked up its prohibition against pork from judaism

if you kill the pig, prepare it properly and eat it quickly its probably no less dangerously than other meats

possibly the reason was that the pig was considered by the early jews to be a sacred animal much like the cow is to hindu's

islam probably picked up its prohibition against pork from judaism

if you kill the pig, prepare it properly and eat it quickly its probably no less dangerously than other meats

possibly the reason was that the pig was considered by the early jews to be a sacred animal much like the cow is to hindu's

I thought Jewish teaching was that the pig was unclean, not sacred. The official reason is that it is "cloven-hooved but does not chew the cud". I assume that this is based on the cow eating grass (and therefore NEEDS to chew the cud), whereas the pig eats anything so doesn't need to chew the cud. The problem with the pig, I think, is that it is perceived as being unclean because of what it eats, not specifically because it does not chew the cud.

I thought Jewish teaching was that the pig was unclean, not sacred. The official reason is that it is "cloven-hooved but does not chew the cud". I assume that this is based on the cow eating grass (and therefore NEEDS to chew the cud), whereas the pig eats anything so doesn't need to chew the cud. The problem with the pig, I think, is that it is perceived as being unclean because of what it eats, not specifically because it does not chew the cud.

You are right in-as-much as that is how you know an clean animal from a so-called unclean animal and after reading this you may not fancy that egg, bacon and tomato sandwich on large ever again.

Bad effects of pork consumption

Pig's bodies contain many toxins, worms and latent diseases. Although some of these infestations are harbored in other animals, modern veterinarians say that pigs are far more predisposed to these illnesses than other animals. This could be because pigs like to scavenge and will eat any kind of food, including dead insects, worms, rotting carcasses, excreta (including their own), garbage, and other pigs.

Influenza (flu) is one of the most famous illnesses which pigs share with humans. This illness is harbored in the lungs of pigs during the summer months and tends to affect pigs and humans in the cooler months. Sausage contains bits of pigs' lungs, so those who eat pork sausage tend to suffer more during epidemics of influenza.

Pig meat contains excessive quantities of histamine and imidazole compounds, which can lead to itching and inflammation; growth hormone, which promotes inflammation and growth; sulphur-containing mesenchymal mucus, which leads to swelling and deposits of mucus in tendons and cartilage, resulting in arthritis, rheumatism, etc.

Sulfur helps cause firm human tendons and ligaments to be replaced by the pig's soft mesenchymal tissues, and degeneration of human cartilage. Eating pork can also lead to gallstones and obesity, probably due to its high cholesterol and saturated fat content.

The pig is the main carrier of the taenia solium worm, which is found it its flesh. These tapeworms are found in human intestines with greater frequency in nations where pigs are eaten. This type of tapeworm can pass through the intestines and affect many other organs, and is incurable once it reaches beyond a certain stage. One in six people in the US and Canada has trichinosis from eating trichina worms which are found in pork. Many people have no symptoms to warn them of this, and when they do, they resemble symptoms of many other illnesses. These worms are not noticed during meat inspections, nor are they killed by salting or smoking. Few people cook the meat long enough to kill the trichinae.

The rat (another scavenger) also harbors this disease. There are dozens of other worms, germs, diseases and bacteria which are commonly found in pigs, many of which are specific to the pig, or found in greater frequency in pigs.Pigs are biologically similar to humans, and their meat is said to taste similar to human flesh. Pigs have been used for dissection in biology labs due to the similarity between their organs and human organs. People with insulin-dependent diabetes usually inject themselves with pig insulin.

http://www.themodernreligion.com/misc/hh/pork.html

Good husbandry produces great meat.

In eastern Asia, where centuries-old deforestation and high population densities did not favour mast feeding, pig raising was long ago oriented toward consuming wastes. Important in China and Korea, at one time, was the privy pig, kept to process human excrement into flesh for human consumption.

http://woolypigs.blogspot.com/2009_09_01_archive.html

Ignoring the idols and false gods the Hebrews worshipped, the people of the Old Testament throughout paid tribute to and worshipped the eternal God who we can read about in both the Old and New Testaments. These few verses out of many, point to the one true God.

Psa 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; I will fear no one. The LORD protects me from all danger; I will never be afraid.

Exd 15:2 The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him.

2Sa 22:3 my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior-- from violent men you save me.

Psa 40:16 But may all who search for you be filled with joy and gladness. May those who love your salvation repeatedly shout, "The LORD is great!"

Isa 12:3 With joy you will drink deeply from the fountain of salvation! In that wonderful day you will sing: "Thank the LORD! Praise his name! Tell the world what he has done. Oh, how mighty he is! Sing to the LORD, for he has done wonderful things. Make known his praise around the world.

You have pointed out to others that they have confused "Lord" referring to God, with "Lord" referring to one of a group of various officials, false gods etc, but specifically not God. So when you (or anyone else) reads the word "Lord" in the bible, how do you know if it is referring to God or to one of those officials or false gods?

Edit. ...and how is anyone else able to differentiate?

You have pointed out to others that they have confused "Lord" referring to God, with "Lord" referring to one of a group of various officials, false gods etc, but specifically not God. So when you (or anyone else) reads the word "Lord" in the bible, how do you know if it is referring to God or to one of those officials or false gods?

From the context. The almighty is a God of love.

Deuteronomy 7:9

Know therefore that the LORD your God is God, he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands.

1 Kings 8:23

and said O LORD, God of Israel, there is no God like you in heaven above or on earth below you who keep your covenant of love with your servants who continue wholeheartedly in your way.

2 Chronicles 6:14

He said: O LORD, God of Israel, there is no God like you in heaven or on earth you who keep your covenant of love with your servants who continue wholeheartedly in your way

Archived