Are Christians discriminated against in the UK?

My dad used to be a Muslim, and even though he ditched the nonsense before I arrived, so strong was the indoctrination that pork products were disgusting, the sight or smell of ham/sausage/bacon would make him wretch.

I was grown up by the time he had managed to eradicate this meme. Most of us know perfectly well that a bacon buttie is one of the finest foods known, and I am pleased to report that my dad can now enjoy such pleasures.

My dad used to be a Muslim, and even though he ditched the nonsense before I arrived, so strong was the indoctrination that pork products were disgusting, the sight or smell of ham/sausage/bacon would make him wretch.

I was grown up by the time he had managed to eradicate this meme. Most of us know perfectly well that a bacon buttie is one of the finest foods known, and I am pleased to report that my dad can now enjoy such pleasures.

I love nothing better than a bacon, egg and tom. :D

But when pigs were routinely used to clear up human excrement you can understand the reasons.

Ignoring the idols and false gods the Hebrews worshipped, the people of the Old Testament throughout paid tribute to and worshipped the eternal God who we can read about in both the Old and New Testaments. These few verses out of many, point to the one true God.

Psa 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; I will fear no one. The LORD protects me from all danger; I will never be afraid.

Exd 15:2 The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him.

2Sa 22:3 my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior-- from violent men you save me.

Psa 40:16 But may all who search for you be filled with joy and gladness. May those who love your salvation repeatedly shout, "The LORD is great!"

Isa 12:3 With joy you will drink deeply from the fountain of salvation! In that wonderful day you will sing: "Thank the LORD! Praise his name! Tell the world what he has done. Oh, how mighty he is! Sing to the LORD, for he has done wonderful things. Make known his praise around the world.

Grahame.

You're quoting the OT again. When anybody quotes the OT to you, you tell them it was for the jews and the NT is for the christians.

How much cake have you got left now that you've eaten it all?:loopy:

From the context. The almighty is a God of love.

Deuteronomy 7:9

Know therefore that the LORD your God is God, he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands.

1 Kings 8:23

and said O LORD, God of Israel, there is no God like you in heaven above or on earth below you who keep your covenant of love with your servants who continue wholeheartedly in your way.

2 Chronicles 6:14

He said: O LORD, God of Israel, there is no God like you in heaven or on earth you who keep your covenant of love with your servants who continue wholeheartedly in your way

O.T.

For the jews.

According to you.

Grahame.

You're quoting the OT again. When anybody quotes the OT to you, you tell them it was for the jews and the NT is for the christians.

How much cake have you got left now that you've eaten it all?:loopy:

The Levities who were the priests created their own laws including the laws regarding food vis-a-vis clean/unclean and many more laws beside which often overturned the commandments. For example they stoned people to death while the commandments said not to kill.

These laws which the Jews followed were contrary to God's laws. They were written and created by Jews for Jews and indeed Jews still keep these laws today and won't for example turn a light switch on or off because they say it constitutes work.

These are not God's laws and this is why Jesus overruled them and condemned the Pharisees who were so proud of themselves for following these laws to the letter.

If you look at the world as a whole these levitical laws which were man-made and not God-given were only observed by the Jews and were a stumbling block between the Jews and the Gentiles which was totally unnecessary because the Levitical laws were false anyway, but even so the Jews followed these laws because it was part of their culture and in order not to cause offence the Apostle Paul asked the Gentiles not to eat pork in front of the Jews in case it offended them and Paul asked the Jews to extend the same courtesy to the Gentiles in other matters.

To answer your question it is only when the Jews were either following their own Jewish laws or their own false gods that it becomes "Of the Jews" otherwise the Old Testament is as much of Almighty God as the New Testament is.

You might find this interesting; it gives a somewhat different analysis of the food/unclean issue:

http://www.biblicalstudies.org.uk/pdf/eq/unclean-food_wenham.pdf

Hi SHsheff. I'm familiar with the arguments presented there and the symbolism also and this sentance is worth remembering, "it depends largely on the commentator’s imagination, and there is no attempt to prove that the alleged symbolism really underlies the legal definitions."

Those laws were man-made as I explained above and do have irregularities. I know non-Jewish people who won't eat pork because they think there might be a danger of pigs carrying worms. They know all about hygiene and cooking the food well but they would just prefer not to eat the meat and I can understand that they might feel that way and I respect their decision. :)

Hi SHsheff. I'm familiar with the arguments presented there and the symbolism also and this sentance is worth remembering, "it depends largely on the commentator’s imagination, and there is no attempt to prove that the alleged symbolism really underlies the legal definitions."

Those laws were man-made as I explained above and do have irregularities. I know non-Jewish people who won't eat pork because they think there might be a danger of pigs carrying worms. They know all about hygiene and cooking the food well but they would just prefer not to eat the meat and I can understand that they might feel that way and I respect their decision. :)

Is buggery Ok if heterosexuals do it?

Archived