St Thomas's church Brightside.

Willam Odom's book "Memorials of Sheffield - its Cathedral and Parish Churches" has a page on St Thomas' Church, Brightside. The church was opened in 1854 and at the publishing date of the book (1922) the graveyard was still open. Odom normally records the closure of a graveyard where this had taken place before the time he was writing his book.

This book is available in the City Library.

Originally posted by Greybeard

I believe there were occasional burials there as late as the 1970s.

Sheffield Family History Society have probably recorded all the monumental inscriptions and the burial registers should be at Sheffield Archives.

There phone number is 0114 203 9395

email archives@sheffield.gov.uk

Thanks for the information Greybeard,

Originally posted by Greybeard

Oh dear ! :confused:

I always thought the church near the bottom of Newman Road was St. Margaret of Scotland :D

no st maggies is on jenkin road, that and st t in wincobank are sister churches in the parish of Brightside and Wincobank

dave

Originally posted by alchemist

no st maggies is on jenkin road, that and st t in wincobank are sister churches in the parish of Brightside and Wincobank

dave

Thanks, I usually confuse Jenkin and Newman ;)

I still think St T's should have been called St.T's Grimesthorpe . It would have saved a lot of confusion !

Archived