Temporary Working VISA for USA

Morning everyone

Right then me and the Mrs were chatting yesterday about making a massive change to our rather mundane lives and we seem to be edging towards getting a temporary work visa for the US and packing up and heading there at some point soon.

So I was hoping there may be some people on here who have had experience of this who can give us some tips..........also what would be the chances of this leading to possible sponsorship for a permanent visa.....I'm assuming very slim!!

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

I hope you have plenty of time to read this.

Iwas working as a Computer field engineer in Canada when my American company asked me to move to New England. I then went to the border post in New York State to ask what would it entail and would my family be allowed to work too. Due to a favorable response I agreed and in April 1977 rented an apartment in Massachusetts, went to get Social Security cards, only to be told that I could work, but my wife couldn't and my son could not attend college. This was a State, not a federal rule. I then decided to use my Company's legal resources to get a green card. I was sent to the Federal building where I was told there were some open spaces for Europeans so all I needed do was get clearance from the Massacchusetts Department of Labor and I would be admitted as a full legal immigrant. When I tried this on I was told I had to put box adverts in the top National newspapers and if any American applied for my job I had to go back to Canada. Nobody applied so they kept sticking other barriers in my way for nearly two years. I had made friends with a Police Captain who was involved in a case of graft in the State Senate. He wrote a letter to a Senator stating they were allowing people in on small boats yet stopping good people like us. I immediately got a letter from the senator telling me to go to the labor office and get my certificate. I was granted a green card three weeks later. I've been a citizen since 1987.

The moral is its hard but if you really want to come it can be done.

Very slim and getting slimmer.

I have had over 20 US work visas in the last 10-15 years* and in the last 5 years it has become progressively harder and harder.

(*and these are work visas sponsored by proper US organisations with all the travel and accommodation costs covered prior to travel!)

John X

If the US Immigration authorities suspect (and they don't need proof; suspicion is enough!) that you've obtained a temporary work visa with the intention of actually becoming long-term residents, they will deny you entry and you'll have to buy a ticket on the first plane back to Britain.
Please read my post to the original. I've worked with many work permit holders who were actively seeking green cards. They were never sent home. Where do you get your information from , the Mirror or the Mail?

Morning everyone

Right then me and the Mrs were chatting yesterday about making a massive change to our rather mundane lives and we seem to be edging towards getting a temporary work visa for the US and packing up and heading there at some point soon.

So I was hoping there may be some people on here who have had experience of this who can give us some tips..........also what would be the chances of this leading to possible sponsorship for a permanent visa.....I'm assuming very slim!!

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

I've lived in the US for many years so I wont steer you wrong. The essential thing in obtaining a work visa is to be in an occupation that there is a shortage of and that an American cannot fill. Two professions that are in demand are doctors (general practitioners) and registered nurses. There may be others. Starting a business along with having the required amoount of capital (the immigration dept would know the amount required) would be another way.

Sponsorship for a green card needs to be from a direct family relative and they would have to agree to support you if necessary, pay any medical bills you might incur if you were unable to pay them yourselves for a period of ten years or untill you become US citizen

You could always marry a local and then apply for a green card, but you'd probably need to divorce your OH first.

There used to be a racket involving women who were US citizens and who for a fee would agree to go through a marriage ceremony with someone who was after a green card. The Immigration dept got wise to that one.

I think there was a similar racket going on in the UK also

Please read my post to the original. I've worked with many work permit holders who were actively seeking green cards. They were never sent home. Where do you get your information from , the Mirror or the Mail?

The US Immigration Authority, whenever I've browsed through their literature on the way into the states.

The US Immigration Authority, whenever I've browsed through their literature on the way into the states.
They are pretty good scare merchants. From my 33 year residence in the US, I have been able to look closely at immigration attitudes to who is seeking entry. There is no document written that shows the hidden preference for Europeans that was shown to myself and others. Fair? No, but I wasn't going to argue about it. There was a lot of concern that white christians were being outnumbered. Sorry about the Mirror comment. Too many forummers lay their expertise on America on two weeks in Florida. I trust this is not the case here.

Archived