Temporary Working VISA for USA

I spoke with an immigration attorney just last year about this very subject. There are a few ways to get into the states. One, is to have a close family relative petition for you to come here and act as a sponsor. Another is to arrive on a fiance visa. On that you have to be married within 3 months of arrival. If you want to come to work, you have to have a job already lined up, your future employer must request a work visa for you and then you will be put into a lottery, from which you may or may not be drawn. Finally, as either Harleyman or Buck indicated (can't remember) if you are in a highly specialized profession that is in high demand in the US you can come to work.

Not easy to get in the US legally but you could always go to Mexico and pay to be smuggled in through the desert. I wouldn't recommend that route.

I spoke with an immigration attorney just last year about this very subject. There are a few ways to get into the states. One, is to have a close family relative petition for you to come here and act as a sponsor. Another is to arrive on a fiance visa. On that you have to be married within 3 months of arrival. If you want to come to work, you have to have a job already lined up, your future employer must request a work visa for you and then you will be put into a lottery, from which you may or may not be drawn. Finally, as either Harleyman or Buck indicated (can't remember) if you are in a highly specialized profession that is in high demand in the US you can come to work.

Not easy to get in the US legally but you could always go to Mexico and pay to be smuggled in through the desert. I wouldn't recommend that route.[/quote]

Personally I'd like to see a lot more Brits coming to the US to live. The Brits I know here are a credit to their new country and with the opportunities that are available they've all done well for themselves. A couple opened up a Britsh grocery store not far from my home so now I can get some of the food I used to like as a kid, steak and kidney pies, sausage rolls, pork pies, shepherds pies, custard tarts. Might be old fashioned kind of food in the UK these days but I still like it nevertheless.

Cuppa Bovril anyone? :)

Not easy to get in the US legally but you could always go to Mexico and pay to be smuggled in through the desert. I wouldn't recommend that route.[/quote]

Personally I'd like to see a lot more Brits coming to the US to live. The Brits I know here are a credit to their new country and with the opportunities that are available they've all done well for themselves. A couple opened up a Britsh grocery store not far from my home so now I can get some of the food I used to like as a kid, steak and kidney pies, sausage rolls, pork pies, shepherds pies, custard tarts. Might be old fashioned kind of food in the UK these days but I still like it nevertheless.

Cuppa Bovril anyone? :)

There are many thousands of Brits and Irishmen living illegally in America. The Bronx, Woodlawn, and Yonkers districts of NYC teem with them. They live by doing roofing repairs, landscaping, snow removal and anything they can do without getting caught. The NY cops turn a blind eye to them , being mostly Irish themselves. New York would not be the same place without them. You can say the same for Chicago, and Boston, I met a bunch of them working in the Bay area of San Francisco. They're as devil may care as they can be and a lot of fun. A few get deported now and then when they step too far over the line.

Also, to the OP

If youre still in Uni might want to try the BUNAC program. They help get students temporary work visas, bank accounts, social security cards, living arrangements, etc all legally.

http://www.bunac.org/uk/workAmerica/

Theres also BUNAC programs for non-students

http://www.bunac.org/uk/experiences/default.aspx?section=3&blogID=92

I hate Florida, fortunately I've been to other US states as well.

That said, I'd not want to live there.

i would leave my life here for a life in america anyday! any state i wouldnt mind, i just love the people, accents, and the country as a whole, i hope the op does get a temp visa but frankly ive tried and tried and failed.... miserably. oh well looks like im staying here, boo! good luck to you though hope you make it happen.

Archived