Digital Economy Bill

A couple more articles. This one argues the Bill is in breach of european law:

http://www.out-law.com/default.aspx?page=10558

Slashdot points out that the law is currently unenforceable because ISPs simply cannot identify people filesharing using 3G wireless connections:

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/networking/2009/11/24/mobile-industry-cannot-identify-pirates-39899832/

interesting article here http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/regulation/2010/04/07/digital-economy-bill-heads-for-final-reading-40088544/

there are rumours of a fee being required before you can appeal a decision apparently according to the open letter at http://nevali.net/post/501647501/an-open-letter-to-sion-simon-pete-wishart-david, I hadn't heard about that

I think the words I'm looking for are "fork" and "that", something similar anyway

shame only a few of us wrote to our MP's eh

I read 20,000 people did, that is a lot for this sort of legislation, especially one that has gone through with such minimal debate.

I've just looked this up and guess what, you can be cut off for viewing websites that host illegal copyrighted images, because you download it to your temporary internet files just by accessing it.

In this case "the law is an ass".

I'm disgusted by the apparent show of "we dont give a *****" form MPs, so out came my keyboard of rage..

Dear Angela Smith,

Can i enquire why you decided that, despite 20,000 emails being sent to MPs across the country, the vote regarding the Digital Economy Bill was seemingly unworthy of your attention and attendance at the debate?

I am frankly disgusted at your disregard for such an important matter and can safely say that if you were still a candidate for my constituency at the upcoming election you would certainly not be getting my vote.

I will be encouraging friends and colleagues within the Stocksbridge and Penistone constituency to strongly consider voting for another candidate as you clearly do not listen, nor care about matters which are important to those whom you wish to serve.

Yours sincerely,

I'm disgusted by the apparent show of "we dont give a *****" form MPs, so out came my keyboard of rage..

It might be important for you but compared to genuine important issues such as health, education and the economy, your right to illegally download copyrighted material is relatively trivial. Aren't there more important things to worry about?

It might be important for you but compared to genuine important issues such as health, education and the economy, your right to illegally download copyrighted material is relatively trivial. Aren't there more important things to worry about?

and once again you totally miss the point, try reading the bill some day

this bill does not criminalise the person illegally downloading copyright material

it criminalises the internet connection subscriber

the two are not necessarily the same but the bill does not acknowledge this

if someone hacks your WiFi and downloads a movie or three it's you who OFCOM will be shouting at, fining, disconnecting and confiscating the computer equipment of, not the evil scr*te who used your connection

yep it passed, and despite my letters to my MP, which are backed with 30 years worth of IT experience, he voted for it

so the last letter is

Dear XXXXXX,

I note with sadness, that despite raising several major issues regarding this bill with yourself you did not feel the need to mention any of these issues in the house.

Indeed when Mr Timms announced that advice would be given so people could set up a password to deny illegal access to their WiFi, I nearly wept at the lack of understanding of the technical issues from someone who is defining a law that will affect every WiFi user in the country.

I have on numerous occasions stated that breaking into a WiFi connection is merely a matter of time, I have on numerous occasions stated that home WiFi users are usually denied access to the security settings and are prevented by their ISP from changing such passwords.

You failed to mention either of these points at a time when it might have had some effect.

I can only assume you were following party line and were subject to the party whip at this time.

However by demonstrating once more that you will follow party line rather than expert testimony by voting to support the bill, I refer to my 30 years IT experience in this case, you have shown me that I am wasting my time in attempting to raise any such concerns with you in future.

And it is with regret that I must inform you that I will not be voting for yourself in the coming general election as, if you will not represent my views when I have legitimate concerns, there is little point in my supporting you in your desire to be my representative.

Yours Sincerely

if anyone is similarly disenchanted with their MP I suggest you send them a similar email telling them why you won't be voting for them

at least then they will know why the public are disenchanted instead of making up reasons to suit themselves such as "voter apathy", "too many MP's" , "slight tweak to the voting system", "four years instead of five" or some other "do nothing" change that will have bugger all effect

Archived