Digital Economy Bill

Welcome to The Peoples Republic Of England, if this gets passed, what next? Yesterday there was a search engine took to court and are being made to filter their results to filter out certain things?

Soon there will be banning on other thing, historical mess ups, you will no longer be able to search for Maggy Thatcher, mp expenses etc. etc.

Well the easy way to prevent accidental prosecutions is for every PC to log every keystroke and store the data so we can all prove our innocence. There you go, problem solved!

Oh... hang on a tic.

It isn't actually that hard to get round - what they are not allowed to do is break encryption to see what is being sent and/or received (this would be the equivalent of breaking a DVD's protection, which is illegal).

This then means they must themselves be at one end of the connection, either sending or receiving the data themselves. As has been previously brought up, the media companies are known to employ people to share data then se who downloads it.

Now, this SHOULD mean that as they themselves are "making available", they are implicitly giving permission for other people to download it (using their own arguments when they have taken sharers to court). But of course they do not reveal in any of the court cases that they were the ones seeding files, so it never comes out during court cases.

I was wanting a way to stop this from becoming law, not a way to download illegal material without being caught. You're totally missing the point.

I'm concerned about the effects on businesses - like those that run Wifi hotspots & ISPs, the guilty until you prove yourself innocent part & I'm also concerned about the web censorship part of the bill.

I've got no interest in downloading copyrighted material without permission, and we all know this bill wouldnt punish those that do. It'll just cause a lot of problems for other internet companies, parents & people that got their wifi hacked, along with those that want to visit sites like wikileaks & other websites whose politics doesn't agree with the government of the day.

I was wanting a way to stop this from becoming law, not a way to download illegal material without being caught....

cut and paste the letter from http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=6080555&postcount=29 and use writetothem to send it to your MP, or write your own and send it to your MP or go and talk to your MP

your MP is the first, last and only stop

it may not have any effect I'll grant you, but I can guarantee that nothing else stands a chance

yessssss!

I've got finally someone to write to their MP, thank you, thank you, thank you

the more people who do this the harder it will be to ignore, and your MP can't say they didn't know about the issues

Can't we just organise a massive demonstration rally or something - like the one that brought the poll tax down?

I am sure it would be spectacular - seeing as so many people have access to the internet, and would send a clear message to all those in power that the people of Britain and indeed the whole world will not stand for any more of this outrageous control of our freedoms.

Your letters to your mp are going to get filed in that big plastic container by the side or his/her desk.

and I have a reply from my MP after sending a reminder

Please accept my apologies for not replying in full as yet, but I do expect that changes will be made to the bill before Tuesday's vote and I will send a full response tomorrow with a full update.

Regards

I'll let you know how it goes

Can't we just organise a massive demonstration rally or something - like the one that brought the poll tax down?

I am sure it would be spectacular - seeing as so many people have access to the internet, and would send a clear message to all those in power that the people of Britain and indeed the whole world will not stand for any more of this outrageous control of our freedoms.

Your letters to your mp are going to get filed in that big plastic container by the side or his/her desk.

it's taken me the best part of a week to get one person to write to their MP, but if you can organise a demo I'll come to it

Archived