Should house prices be dropped drastically - to help the young ?

Someone has to own the houses and be responsible for their upkeep and pay the insurance in case of fire or floods. Everyone should strive to owning their own house before they are 60 so they can retire with just essential running costs to cover.

You can tell areas where people don't own their house because they look a bag of poo with untidy fronts and scrap yard gardens.

I would favour a way of paying rent with some of it going towards a deposit fund then after so many years you can bank the deposit of 10% or 20% and get a mortgage to buy the rest.

I have hips that don't need replacing and I can jump up and down and my bits stay in the right places and I'm not married to some miserable old man so stuff their massive amounts of equity.
And hopefully you never will have :D

When I was your age, I never imagined I'd morph into a fat woman with bad knees and eyesight, and short term memory loss. It's obviously a punishment for my youthfull excesses. Actually, stuff my massive amounts of equity ... I'm going to SKI before I kill myself though ;)

My Grandparents had their own house, in about 1906, and future generations have done the same. What makes you think it was easier for them than it is today, remember all things are pro rata, in house prices and wages as it was then and still is. Never come across anyone that has lost money on a house. Today is never been easier to get your own home, you dont need a deposit, you just need a morgage and a loan for the deposit, easy.

Someone has to own the houses and be responsible for their upkeep and pay the insurance in case of fire or floods. Everyone should strive to owning their own house before they are 60 so they can retire with just essential running costs to cover.

You can tell areas where people don't own their house because they look a bag of poo with untidy fronts and scrap yard gardens.

I would favour a way of paying rent with some of it going towards a deposit fund then after so many years you can bank the deposit of 10% or 20% and get a mortgage to buy the rest.

None of that is true in europe, why must it be true here?

My Grandparents had their own house, in about 1906, and future generations have done the same. What makes you think it was easier for them than it is today, remember all things are pro rata, in house prices and wages as it was then and still is. Never come across anyone that has lost money on a house. Today is never been easier to get your own home, you dont need a deposit, you just need a morgage and a loan for the deposit, easy.

Easy, stupid and possibly fraudulent.

You're probably correct about one thing though, it's easier to get a house today than it was in 1906, home ownership was much lower then. It's only really taken off in a large way since the 60's.

You're wrong about house prices and income though, in the last decade the ratio of house prices to average income has increased by a large amount.

The historical average ratio is about 4 times, at the moment it's at something like 5.5 times.

<removed> You're equating people that rent with being people with no money and no interest in the upkeep of the property they're renting.

I rent a house and it's kept better than most of the people I've lived next door to who own their own houses.

Rubbish. House prices have soared in recent years and have outpaced wages dramatically. All things are not pro rata.

I'm not sure what mortgage brokers you know but everyone needs a deposit nowadays and some people aren't reckless or stupid enough to take out a loan, to pay a deposit, to secure another loan. The days of 100% mortgages are well and truly over.

Id say more homeowners are guilty of this than you think.....some bought houses i see still have hash windows and the gardens are so overgrown it's disgusting. Yes the council tennants can be bad at times, but to make that sweeping generalization smacks of ignorance.

Archived