Help: SEN child biting!

Really don't want to get into a negative discussion here. A child in my child's class is head butting, biting, pinching and hitting. He drew blood yesterday. The child is autistic. Does anyone have any idea what could be done by other parents? This is a mainstream infant school.

I should add that staff are pretty fed up as they get bitten as well.

This is an awkward situation. Are the teachers at the school able to spot what triggers the child to start this behaviour and maybe remove the child from the situation. My daughter is Autistic and certain things trigger her off, although she has never bit anyone, she did tend to be quite aggressive towards other children at Nursey. When my daughter was tired, frustrated or upset, she tended to lash out and i told the teacher and she was able to spot the early signs and remove my daughter from the situation. Even though my daughter is Autistic and she doesnt understand most things that you say to her, I still tell her when she has done something wrong as i know of some parents who don't say anything and just blame the Autism.

Really don't want to get into a negative discussion here. A child in my child's class is head butting, biting, pinching and hitting. He drew blood yesterday. The child is autistic. Does anyone have any idea what could be done by other parents? This is a mainstream infant school.

I should add that staff are pretty fed up as they get bitten as well.

talk to the class teacher/ headteacher about your concerns

I think that there may be triggers, but they seem to be of the "he has something I want" variety. At the moment it is unclear what is bad behaviour and what is caused by lack of understanding, is there a difference with autistic children? I suspect that mum and dad have become a bit overwhelmed and are just blaming everything on the autism as you say. Thanks for your post anyway, I may have a word with the teacher to see if there are any strategies in place other than constant vigilance!

A lot of it with Autistic children is the total lack of understanding and also the lack of noticing someone else's feelings, they tend to focus on what they want and how they are going to get it, they dont tend to think how the other person will feel. Its hard for the parents trying to work out what is bad behaviour and what is a lack of understanding. I always tell my daughter what is acceptable and what isnt, every single time as if you tell her repeatedly, she does understand a bit more. I would definately have a word with the teacher. I think its also important for the other parents to understand that Autistic children arent the same as so called 'normal' children and they need a lot more explaining of any situation. It may also be a good idea for the Autistic childs parents to talk to the teacher and try and sort something out as its no good if the whole class is getting disrupted.

I dont want to upset anyone here, Im just asking a questions, and in no way want to offend.

I was just wondering what mums of children with special needs think of their children attending mainsteam schools, where the teachers might not have the training to know how to handle the specific need of the child?

I did a special needs awareness course and learned that lots of special needs schools were now closing and children were being integrated into mainstream schools.

This is all well and good, but are the needs of these children being met?

I just wondered what the parents of children with special needs thought?

Lots of parents who have children with special needs will agree that it can be very hard work to cope with a child who has special needs, so what about a teacher, with no training in looking after a child with special needs, who also has another 29 children to teach/look after at the same time?

Are teachers being offered extra training now?

As I said at the start of my post, I hope I haven't offended anyone with my questions

It's just that, as you said, Blade4eva, parents of non special needs children need to understand.

Thanks

My daughter went to mainstream school for 18 months and she barely made any progress at all. She is 6 and still cannot read or write. I do think its very hard for the teacher as they have so many children to see to and they all have there own needs. Autistic children need so much time and attention, that i dont think this is always possible in a mainstream school, but it also depends on the severity of the Autism, it affects some children a lot more than others. I dont think teachers are getting extra training, at my daughters old school, it was mainly the teaching assistant that did most things with my daughter.

As blade4ever has said, this is an issue that crops up a lot with anyone on the autistic spectrum because they are totally unable to interpret other's feelings or wishes if they aren't stated clearly and they can't feel any sort of empathy, so of course this results in a rather persistent sort of selfishness, kind of like a younger child who hasn't yet learned what is acceptable and how their actions affect others.

Children with autism CAN learn what is acceptable, but they won't learn it in the same way as other children because they can't think with the same pathways. With a child who doesn't have autism, if they bite you then you make a big show of crying because they have hurt you and they learn that they don't want to hurt you- that won't work with an autistic child because they can't interpret your crying as meaning that you are upset or hurt. You have to say the words and you have to explain them repeatedly so that the child can remember that last time they did X you told them that this was wrong, so the next time they do the same thing you're going to stop them too.

It's longer, it's frustrating and it takes a lot of repetition and someone who has loads of patience and time to repeat things to that degree, but if it's hard for the teacher/parent, think of how hard it is for the child!

Archived