Yet another "one rule for them"

It's good to see the courts upholding the police for a change. She was right up in his face, mouthing off, not once but twice in the brief clips we saw on the news. When an officer policing a semi riot'protest' tells you to get back and eventually is forced into giving you a slap to assist you on your way, you have to be a fool to come back in his face again.

I think there was more to this than met the eye. She'd probably been acting for the cameras even before the bit we saw. Arrresting people in these situations just takes an officer out of the action to do paperwork, She wasn't injured and I think he did the right thing in the circumstances.

It's good to see the courts upholding the police for a change. She was right up in his face, mouthing off, not once but twice in the brief clips we saw on the news. When an officer policing a semi riot'protest' tells you to get back and eventually is forced into giving you a slap to assist you on your way, you have to be a fool to come back in his face again.

I think there was more to this than met the eye. She'd probably been acting for the cameras even before the bit we saw. Arrresting people in these situations just takes an office out of the action to do paperwork, She wasn't injured and I think he did the right thing in the circumstances.

Too right ruby!

The worrying thing is that this verdict sends a signal to all policemen that it's OK to respond to verbal abuse with gratuitous violence.
You say that like it's a bad thing?

He wasn't a 'big man' - he was an officer of the law, trying to preserve the peace faced with an obnoxious shrew in his face. I think the verdict was just.

You say that like it's a bad thing?

He wasn't a 'big man' - he was an officer of the law, trying to preserve the peace faced with an obnoxious shrew in his face. I think the verdict was just.

He was a riot cop in full gear, armed with a bloody baton. Have you any evidence that the woman he assaulted had been abusive to him or do you just think it's Ok to use gratuitous violence?

He was a riot cop in full gear, armed with a bloody baton. Have you any evidence that the woman he assaulted had been abusive to him or do you just think it's Ok to use gratuitous violence?

erm, the Officer used necessary and reasonable force

also he was not charged with common assault

the vast majority of police officers act with integrity and in the true spirit of public service, often under extremely trying circumstances. A few make it their mission to 'make the most of the power' and abuse that power to violent or immoral ends. Delroy Smellie lashed out at a small woman, not because he feared for his safety, but because he was determined to 'show these scruffy hippies who's the boss', to attempt to suggest otherwise is naive at best, and stupidly ignorant at worst. He has today laughed in the face of truth, honour and justice.

Archived