Christians lay down the law

Well you can rest assured that we're not applying a Christian agenda on SF, just forum rules on fairness.

SF isn't anybody's showcase so don't be surprised if threads stop being welcomed if they're all in the same vein.

I know it's a private fiefdom and all that, but is there anything in the rules that specifically says that threads that come from a similar philosophical position are not allowed? I've not seen any other thread about these blasphemy laws, and in the modern age such a thing as blasphemy seems an odd thing to be newly adding to the statue books, so it is a valid topic to discuss, even if the tone initially was a little childish.

Personally I find it astonishing that a modern state would create such laws.

Below is a repost from blasphemy.ie

From today, 1 January 2010, the new Irish blasphemy law becomes operational,

and we begin our campaign to have it repealed. Blasphemy is now a crime punishable by a €25,000 fine. The new law defines blasphemy as publishing or uttering matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby intentionally causing outrage among a substantial number of adherents of that religion, with some defences permitted.

http://midwesthumanists.com/2010/01/01/atheist-ireland-publishes-25-blasphemous-quotes/

talking about discrimination-how do the atheist stand

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/blasphemy

blas·phe·my (blsf-m)

n. pl. blas·phe·mies

a. A contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning God or a sacred entity.

b. The act of claiming for oneself the attributes and rights of God.

2. An irreverent or impious act, attitude, or utterance in regard to something considered inviolable or sacrosanct.

Then isn't this 'law' "a contemptuous or profane act" towards an atheist?

I know it's a private fiefdom and all that, but is there anything in the rules that specifically says that threads that come from a similar philosophical position are not allowed? I've not seen any other thread about these blasphemy laws, and in the modern age such a thing as blasphemy seems an odd thing to be newly adding to the statue books, so it is a valid topic to discuss, even if the tone initially was a little childish.

No other current threads on blasphemy, but plenty this week posted provocatively about Christianity, including some aimed at specific forum users who are openly Christian.

No other current threads on blasphemy, but plenty this week posted provocatively about Christianity, including some aimed at specific forum users who are openly Christian.

But a lot of threads are provocative - they're the ones that get replies. We've had provocative threads about Islam, Christianity, atheism, benefits of all kinds, that bloke who did a wee on the war memorial, some pub re-opening, punishing pet shop owners ... all sorts.

Just seems odd to mention it when so many threads that don't meet with approval just vanish even if they are many pages long with many different posters having a proper debate, and yet this one, which you seem to think is 'provocative' remains even though someone had to remove pretty much the whole thread at one point as it consisted of two posters sniping at each other.

Oh no, not another thread!!
Well you're here, or at least you was. Personally I don't think there should be any topic that we shouldn't be able to talk about and theism against atheism is something that a lot of people have on their minds. It's sad though that some people tend to get angry at other peoples' point of view.

But a lot of threads are provocative - they're the ones that get replies. We've had provocative threads about Islam, Christianity, atheism, benefits of all kinds, that bloke who did a wee on the war memorial, some pub re-opening, punishing pet shop owners ... all sorts.

Just seems odd to mention it when so many threads that don't meet with approval just vanish even if they are many pages long with many different posters having a proper debate, and yet this one, which you seem to think is 'provocative' remains even though someone had to remove pretty much the whole thread at one point as it consisted of two posters sniping at each other.

Thanks B Trautmann, my thread disappeared while I was away for a few hours and I'm guessing that medusa is referring to that. I don't know what happened while I was away but I specifically asked people to not spoil my thread but apparently that was the reason, or one of the reasons, it was took down. Thanks for nothing guys.

I gather one reason was that a certain well known Christian on here (don't want to use his name for some reason) was seen as being targeted, either by me for using his user name, or while I wasn't there he was targeted by others.

As far as I am concerned I wasn't being impolite on my two posts, I was just showing a different perspective on Christianity and religion. What's wrong with people? I could answer that and I do wish we could discuss these subjects sensibly but it often ends up in endless arguments.

We don't have to accept each others point of view, we can beg to differ and leave it at that but if a post is there someone else might find it interesting but it obviously isn't there when a whole thread has been took down. I have been on two threads that have been took down and one of them was mine and I only joined the forum a few weeks ago and now I'm wondering if I dare post at all because the thread might disappear.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/blasphemy Then isn't this 'law' "a contemptuous or profane act" towards an atheist?

I think blasphemy laws are very childish, and as Einstein said over 100 years ago "organised religion is rather childish"

You really are slow. The post to which this was such a lame response read ''On their feet for the most part, just like everyone else.''

You are pretentious,you knew I meant, how do they stand in law.

Archived