Divorced/Separated Parents, access.

Wheres the conflict...dad comes and takes the child on a friday brings the child back up on a sunday every fortnight...done...dusted...hows that causing conflict???

Because moving from Britain to New Zealand whilst maintaining that you have no intention of stopping contact with the father is rather insane.

The reasoning of some people is that if they move far enough away then the none-custodial parent will give up all rights to see that child.

The law does not state that it is not allowed for this to happen. The law is wrong. I do not know how it could be changed to suit individual cases, taking into account individual merits. Like I said before - I do not write the laws. I am sure that it would not be wise for someone who had been raped to write the laws concerning rape; or the parent of a murdered relative write the laws on murder. That does not mean they cannot say the law is wrong and should be changed.

Asking me to come up with an alternatative to the current law is nonsense.

How about when one parents family, friends and entire support network are (for example) in Scotland. They moved to Cornwall to be with their (now) ex.

They break up and they hate it in Cornwall with no blood family and no friends.

They move.

The ex is now stuck 650 miles away from their child.

It's just one example, but that's why it would be impossible for the law to resolve this, and that's ignoring the right to free movement from the european bill of rights.

Is the uk's position on the distance of the parent with custody overwritten by the EU?

An actual question not an attack :)

Because moving from Britain to New Zealand whilst maintaining that you have no intention of stopping contact with the father is rather insane.

The reasoning of some people is that if they move far enough away then the none-custodial parent will give up all rights to see that child.

So if this happens whats wrong with letting the parent have them throughout the summer holidays??? Even if its just for 4 of the 7 week holidays? And then alternative christmas??

There should be a law

Isn't there a law on something to do with the parent moving within a certain distance of the other parent???

If there isnt there should be...otherwise how is the other parent expected to see their child...spend 80 quid a week on going and visiting them for an hour or two???

Of course there isn't, how could there be. It would be contrary to the fundamental rights to free movement. Adults have the right to live where they like (within the EU anyway) and subject to visa's if elsewhere.

The question you ask is key to the whole issue, and the answer is that legally it's just tough luck. And I don't see how it can be changed.

I suppose if it matters to the ex that much, they'll move as well and still be close.

The law does not state that it is not allowed for this to happen. The law is wrong. I do not know how it could be changed to suit individual cases, taking into account individual merits. Like I said before - I do not write the laws. I am sure that it would not be wise for someone who had been raped to write the laws concerning rape; or the parent of a murdered relative write the laws on murder. That does not mean they cannot say the law is wrong and should be changed.

Asking me to come up with an alternatative to the current law is nonsense.

If you say that the law is wrong then the obvious question that will be asked is how to correct it.

If you have no answer then you need to think about it a bite more.

If you say that the law is wrong then the obvious question that will be asked is how to correct it.

When a case is brought to court come up with reasonable visitaion arrangments?

Hey if you can convince the government it is more profitable to keep the father close you might turn a few mp's heads.....im being serious lol

Wheres the conflict...dad comes and takes the child on a friday brings the child back up on a sunday every fortnight...done...dusted...hows that causing conflict???

Mum and Dad 1 seperate. Mum has custody of child 1. Mum remarries has child 2 with new husband. New husband offered job in cornwall. Mum new husband and kids move to cornwall. Dad 1 works very long hours, find it very difficult to go to cornwall every fortnight.

This is definitley not in the best interests of Dad 1. But it is definitley in the best interests of Mum, dad 2. It is not an ideal situation for child 1, but is probably better that child is not seperated from sibling and mum, as opposed to being seperated from just Dad.

Do you see what I'm trying to say, You can't please all the people all the time.

Up and leave there home, a perfect job and possibly other kids they might have got???

Maybe not then, which makes it, once again, just tough luck.

Every adult has the right to move where they wish. I can't see how that could ever be superceded by the rights of a non custodial parent to access.

At the very least it would have to be applied both ways.

So in the case where the father walked out, even if he wished no contact at all, the law would oblige him to stay within a set distance.

Neither party would ever be able to move without the consent of the other one.

Archived