Divorced/Separated Parents, access.

When a case is brought to court come up with reasonable visitaion arrangments?

Reasonable visitation cannot compress the distance between cornwall and scotland, or worse canada and liverpool.

Just because someone moves isn't a reason to be in court at all, reasonable visitation rights can be agreed mutually, but that isn't going to stop it being difficult as the distance increases.

If theres an arrangment in place then maybe its fair to move away but to move away and expect the other parent to constantly run around??? it need to be a bit of give and take

16 years and the kid dispenses it's own justice regardless....If the law changes in this regard i welcome it, but i hold out hope that the broken families i have seen and the relationships lost can be made good in time....

If theres an arrangment in place then maybe its fair to move away but to move away and expect the other parent to constantly run around??? it need to be a bit of give and take

Unforunately it's not always the case that both parties are reasonable is it. And you can't legally mandate co-operation AFAIK.

It's a bad situation and the law does it's best to give access to parents when they should have it (although the law could be improved significantly). It's not magic though and can't solve all these problems.

So its a case of

"oh my partner left me with my kids i now have to move to a completely strange part of the country and leave my work, home, children, and family otherwise i cant see them"

Not fair

I would move anywhere i could to keep contact with my children....fair no...but life isn't and you have to get for yourself what the law does not afford you.

Unforunately it's not always the case that both parties are reasonable is it. And you can't legally mandate co-operation AFAIK.

It's a bad situation and the law does it's best to give access to parents when they should have it (although the law could be improved significantly). It's not magic though and can't solve all these problems.

No only the person who an realy stop it and be reasonable is the guilty parent

Thats what Dragon seems to be arguing should be the case for the Mum of his children.

I'm not sure he is, he just doesn't think she should have been allowed to move to wherever she is now.

I expect he'd be a bit more upset if he'd been the one planning to move for a new job or something and had been told that he wasn't allowed to go.

Maybe not then, which makes it, once again, just tough luck.

Every adult has the right to move where they wish. I can't see how that could ever be superceded by the rights of a non custodial parent to access.

At the very least it would have to be applied both ways.

So in the case where the father walked out, even if he wished no contact at all, the law would oblige him to stay within a set distance.

Neither party would ever be able to move without the consent of the other one.

See this is the sort of logic I am not very good at that you seem to like using, and it generally slips by because people do not even attempt to figure it out.

On the one hand we are talking about mothers/fathers not being allowed to move their children an unreasonable distance from the other parent who wants contact. And on the other hand you are talking about parents who do not want any contact with their children. And somewhere the one has to justify the other.

If a father or mother does not want contact with his or her children then he or she can move anywhere they want. You cannot take someone to court because they do not want contact with their children. This is completely different to the first instance where contact is desired. Or am I missing something?

Archived