Would you like a hung parliament?

Like a well-hung Parliament, do you mean?

No chance. Both the Tories and Labour have suggested that they are prepared to turn a blind eye to sexual discrimination laws and force 'all female' candidate lists on certain constituencies.

It appears we forget the Labour postal vote scam.

Perhaps the Post Office could go on strike at the appropriate moment? - That should throw a spanner in the postal-vote-rigging works.

It may well lead to being held to ransom by the nationalist parties of Scotland,Wales and N.I.If they want independence let them have it but without being subsidized,stand on their own 2 feet,why can't the English have a separate parliament?

Good idea..

Independence for Scotland

Independence for Wales

Independence for Northern Ireland

Independence for England.

After all, they are all in the EU; they are all bigger than the smallest countries in the EU and surely they are all entitled to be treated as EU member States in their own right?

While you're giving them independence, don't forget to give them back the lying Scotsman - and let him take his National debt back to his own nation ... I'm sure they'll crown him for that - though I'm not sure what they'd crown him with. ... The Stoon of Scoon?

... if it IS a parliament without an overall majority, there may well be another election within the year.

If it is a hung parliament, then that is likely to be bad for the economy (and as a result, bad for the nation.) It will not encourage trust in the parliament (not, perhaps that many people trust parliament at the moment) but if the creditors lose faith, then the interest rates they will demand will increase and the length of the loan period to which they are prepared to commit themselves is likely to decrease.

As long as the coalition realises it has to reform the voting system, that may not be such a bad thing.

Does 'reform the voting system' mean you won't even know where your vote is going? (Like the elections for MEPs. - My MEP was somebody called 'Errol' or so I was told. I hadn't got a clue who he was and he hadn't got a clue who I was, where I lived or what I needed or wanted.

Then 'Errol' resigned and I found he was actually a her and the name was spelt 'Eryl'. She resigned because, as she said, How could she be expected to represent people when she didn't know who they were, didn't know anything about where they lived and didn't know anything about their needs and aspirations and they hadn't a clue who she was?

Wonderful thing, this 'proportional election.' - Pity it didn't allow for representation and indeed, reduced the chances of that happening even further.

Why not change the whole system? Why not elect people and send them to Parliament with a mandate to represent the interests and wishes of the people who sent them there? (And while you're at it, introduce a swift recall system to allow you to fire those representatives who choose to ignore the people?)

My final word; I think many of us are too hard on MPs. There ARE some who never claimed things they shouldn't. And when you work in a given environment, you tend to do what everyone else does. Which would you be? Pure as the driven snow? Or would you do what all the others do?

That's not to excuse any of them; bad is bad, whichever way you look at it. But none of us can be certain we wouldn't be weak enough to do the same. The only way to stop it happening again is to change the system and the checks and balances.

I disagree completely.

If 'Sid Chav' is brought before the local magistrates for doing something which society considers to be reprehensible, should he be excused on the grounds that there are plenty of petty criminals where he lives and he's only following the example set by his peers - Or should he (like the rest of us) be obliged to comply with the laws which govern the rest of us?

MPs are not demi-gods; they are government employees and like other government employees they are there to serve the people. If other government employees were caught fiddling their expense claims then they would be liable to severe penalties. - A soldier caught fiddling his/her expenses would be liable to court-martial and on conviction would find (s)he faced a host of very unpleasant penalties.

(S)he would not be promoted to General (given a place in the House of Lords), nor would (s)he be given a hefty payoff and be invited to take early retirement on a very generous pension.

I've no doubt there are a number of honest MPs (I know one or two who are honest, competent and well-motivated. They have my respect - and I'm sure they have that of the majority of their constituents, as well.)

There are, however, a significant number of MPs who - amazingly - have avoided prosecution, are not being brought to book and are - in the eyes of many people - being allowed to get away with it. The Leaders of ALL the parties could (and IMO should) have done far more to bring those culpable to justice. A token handful of prosecutions is (IMO) inadequate to right the wrong and will do little to persuade the electorate that parliament is not populated by parasites.

...Perhaps the Post Office could go on strike at the appropriate moment? - That should throw a spanner in the postal-vote-rigging works.

<My bold>

Apologies for riding on the back of your seriously-argued post, Rupert, but it's strange how the mind makes connections... "spanner" made me think of Dave and Ansil Collins' reggae tune "Monkey Spanner", which in turn reminded me that a hung monkey won the popular vote (and has arguably done ok) in Hartlepool, so why not a cage-load of them for the whole country?

Archived