Political Correctness

Because I know someone who does just that. Not only takes the mick out of his problems but out of everything.

Natural comedian, and yeah I've also joined in and given him some soundbites to use.

The problem with him being autistic is that he don't see the political correctness in it, he just see's funny as funny, regardless.

I don't doubt, I was thinking of situations like that when I answered.

What matters is context. For him to make a joke about his condition is a natural source for him. It is totally different where an able bodied person makes jokes about people with disabilities. The context in the latter case is denigrating, and exploitative.

But that's sill Jordan / Katie Price, not the boy. They share DNA not a life.

By all means anyone can take the rip out of her (god knows she attracts it) but leave the lad alone. Maybe some folk should grow up?

I agree Tony, but folk will do what they will do ..... No point in trying to change it. Maybe try and keep the boy out of the limelight is the best she could do, the wags will forget in 6 months.

I don't doubt, I was thinking of situations like that when I answered.

What matters is context. For him to make a joke about his condition is a natural source for him. It is totally different where an able bodied person makes jokes about people with disabilities. The context in the latter case is denigrating, and exploitative.

He happens to be deaf too, "eh", I said he happens to be deaf too.

The reason I entered this debate is because his mom slapped a post on the facebook saying how proud she is that he had his neighbours gathered around howling with laughter, the other day.

And I got thinking, the couple of jokes I gave him, he actually liked, and now uses them. So does being autistic mean that nobody should indulge his sense of humour and give him ammunition to do what he enjoys doing, which is making people laugh.

Because of some ideology such as pc.

I'm not pc, I can see where there is some need for it, but for the most part, I think it's just an excuse for people to get offended easily, and start mounting high horses.

He happens to be deaf too, "eh", I said he happens to be deaf too.

The reason I entered this debate is because his mom slapped a post on the facebook saying how proud she is that he had his neighbours gathered around howling with laughter, the other day.

And I got thinking, the couple of jokes I gave him, he actually liked, and now uses them. So does being autistic mean that nobody should indulge his sense of humour and give him ammunition to do what he enjoys doing, which is making people laugh.

Because of some ideology such as pc.

I'm not pc, I can see where there is some need for it, but for the most part, I think it's just an excuse for people to get offended easily, and start mounting high horses.

What makes you think PC is an excuse for people to get offended easily, rather than an attempt to defend offensive people and dismiss the offence they cause by their insults?

What makes you think PC is an excuse for people to get offended easily, rather than an attempt to defend offensive people and dismiss the offence they cause by their insults?

Because for the most part people do not set out to be offensive.

As in my above example, I mean no offence to the child, quite the opposite, I encourage him to laugh at the offence that others would see from such jokes.

And secondly, they don't dismiss the offence caused by the so called insults, before pc came about, such insults would not have been deemed insulting, and would have been dismissed without a thought.

Nowadays, it gives pc people a (maybe excuse is also the wrong word) reason to find offence where there once was no insult.

If you know what I mean, I know what I mean.

Another example, you get people that claim to be pc, yet when you say things like, I'm hard of hearing, they don't hesitate to cup their ears and say "eh". Also if you make them repeat themselves they'll respond with something like "are you deaf", when you might just well be, without a second thought about if you are or not prior to the impatience.

And I don't think all pc people are like this, I did say "for the most part".

It gets a little ott though when nursery rhymes are re-written to be more pc, when the target market cannot distinguish the difference between A and B never mind P and C.

Do you think it is funny to make jokes about autistic children?

I think there's a huge difference between making a joke about a specific child and joking about the condition generally.

It's a fine line, but regarding the latter, I think it is certainly possible for such material to be acceptable in the right context, as people such as Jimmy Carr and Ricky Gervais have demonstrated.

There is a cringe factor to be sure, but I don't think such material does too much real harm and who knows, it may even prove to be a positive thing by bringing the subject out into the open.

Having said that, the Frankie Boyle incident does appear to have been unnecessarily nasty, especially towards the woman in the audience.

I think there's a huge difference between making a joke about a specific child and joking about the condition generally.

It's a fine line, but regarding the latter, I think it is certainly possible for such material to be acceptable in the right context, as people such as Jimmy Carr and Ricky Gervais have demonstrated.

There is a cringe factor to be sure, but I don't think such material does too much real harm and who knows, it may even prove to be a positive thing by bringing the subject out into the open.

Having said that, the Frankie Boyle incident does appear to have been unnecessarily nasty, especially towards the woman in the audience.

Jimmy Carr and Ricky Gervais making 'such material acceptable in the right context'? I'm tempted to add don't make me laugh. But those two comedians are anything but funny.

I remember outrage when Carr made his 'joke' about rape, or the one about amputees from Afghanistan making a good paralympic team. Carr seems to think that saying a joke with irony makes it acceptable. It isn't.

Why doesn't he make a joke about Allah like the cartoonist did a few years ago? Because he knows full well he'd have a fatwa over him. I hate 'comedians' like Carr, they think they're at the cutting edge of humour, but really he's just a moron.

Jimmy Carr and Ricky Gervais making 'such material acceptable in the right context'? I'm tempted to add don't make me laugh. But those two comedians are anything but funny.

I remember outrage when Carr made his 'joke' about rape, or the one about amputees from Afghanistan making a good paralympic team. Carr seems to think that saying a joke with irony makes it acceptable. It isn't.

Why doesn't he make a joke about Allah like the cartoonist did a few years ago? Because he knows full well he'd have a fatwa over him I hate 'comedians' like Carr, they think they're at the cutting edge of humour, but really he's just a moron.

That was funny.

Archived