Political Correctness

It was the gulley running down the ship that slaves got down to, to excrete.

If you're right and I'm wrong, the same probably applies, but again, I'd prefer that the people descended from those slaves get to decide if the term should be used or not. It shouldn't be up to us to say that they have no right to be offended by obscure references to the slavery their ancestors suffered.

I was once told by a person with a disability that they did not like being referred to as a "disabled person" because that meant they were being defined by their disability rather than as a person in their own right.

Seeing as this person felt this way I accepted what they said.

The stories we usually read about are more often about people imagining slights, insults and defamations when none actually exist.

After working in London for a few years with mixed races and religions, I found all the old jokes my mates were still telling excruciatingly embarrassing. I wasn't being pc, I'm not pc, but I realised that many of the jokes were barbed insults and often due to fear of the unknown.

I also find people often confuse pc with excessive bureaucracy, which deserves to be ridiculed. But the two are different, even though they often share similar traits and are usually espoused by the same people, which is probably where the confusion lies.

The biggest problem today is that somehow people have grasped the idea that if you don't believe in racist terms then you're somehow a left wing right on hippie type, or are just generally a bit wet.

After working in London for a few years with mixed races and religions, I found all the old jokes my mates were still telling excruciatingly embarrassing. I wasn't being pc, I'm not pc, but I realised that many of the jokes were barbed insults and often due to fear of the unknown.

I also find people often confuse pc with excessive bureaucracy, which deserves to be ridiculed. But the two are different, even though they often share similar traits and are usually espoused by the same people, which is probably where the confusion lies.

The biggest problem today is that somehow people have grasped the idea that if you don't believe in racist terms then you're somehow a left wing right on hippie type, or are just generally a bit wet.

I spent a good while in London and found it 'challenging' coming back up here. I agree with what you say, some terms are cleary racist or derogatory and I won't use them.

I spent a good while in London and found it 'challenging' coming back up here. I agree with what you say, some terms are cleary racist or derogatory and I won't use them.

Yeah, it's a hang up I found absolutely no trouble ridding myself of. After you spend nights boozing with Ghanians, walking from work sharing a spliff with a a Muslim who moans about his mother attempting to get him to marry, you soon start to realise that most of these barriers are complete nonsense.

......... apparantly it's not proven ....

It's more than not proven.

It is virtually impossible for the (slave ships) claim to be true without the phrase entering the written texts of the time.

Sadly, one of the curses of the internet is the ease with which it allows untruths to proliferate and claims to become "facts".

Archived