Political Correctness

It's still a blackboard...it always has been ..it always will be..stop listening to people with agendas who tell you it is no longer called a blackboard.

It's not a blackboard any more because it's an interactive white board, that most classes will have now. PC gone mad, some might say! Most of us just worry about real things that matter.

Guest sibon
It's not a blackboard any more because it's an interactive white board, that most classes will have now. PC gone mad, some might say! Most of us just worry about real things that matter.

I've got my IWB set to a black background, with the pen set to white.

A virtual 1970's classroom. Who would have thought it. :)

Well maybe if SCC stopped putting "happy eid" on the christmas lights despite whatever the hell "eid" is occuring several months previously people would stop accusing them of being pc muslim bottom lickers.

Guest sibon
Well maybe if SCC stopped putting "happy eid" on the christmas lights despite whatever the hell "eid" is occuring several months previously people would stop accusing them of being pc muslim bottom lickers.

I agree.

As an atheist, I wish that they would stop putting "Merry Christmas" on the Winter Festival lights too.

So the council should only "lick" Christian "bottoms"? Doesn't the council tax paid by Non Christians count for anything?

Companies can't have 'brainstorming' sessions anymore because it refers to epiliepsy. It's true, companies who get a board together to think of possabilities in typical brainstorming style have to call it thought showers.

Black people are black, whites are white.

Short are short, fat people are fat, disabled are disabled and rather a lot of wheel chair bound people I know appreciate a bit of wheel chair humour.

Different age people are different, men and woman are different, different races are different. It is not okay to apply prejudice because of the difference, but discrimination is a must. Different needs and abilities are there for a reason.

Companies can't have 'brainstorming' sessions anymore because it refers to epiliepsy. It's true, companies who get a board together to think of possabilities in typical brainstorming style have to call it thought showers.

Black people are black, whites are white.

Short are short, fat people are fat, disabled are disabled and rather a lot of wheel chair bound people I know appreciate a bit of wheel chair humour.

Different age people are different, men and woman are different, different races are different. It is not okay to apply prejudice because of the difference, but discrimination is a must. Different needs and abilities are there for a reason.

My bold

Everybody is an individual and therefore slightly different from everybody else. What you've said is actually prejudiced - because you appear to be making assumptions about people being very different just because of their age, their gender or their race.

I'm a 57 year old, white lesbian - but I'll bet I've probably got more in common with some 30 year old, black straight males than I have with some 57 year old, white lesbians!!

Your last sentence has me totally puzzled - could you explain it more fully, please?

prejudice means developing an adverse opinion based on an attribute.

To discriminate is to be aware of the differences.

Sure, in this day and age things like masculine and feminine are getting real messed up, but unless you have a problem with being a lesbian you shouldn't have a problem with being described as a lesbian. If a straight copy of you was made and lived through the same era you did under the same circumstances, at the age of 57 she would be totally different. Probably half way through life would have made different choices or been able to dealwith things you couldn't... prehaps wouldnt be able to deal with things you could.

I am not going to treat you the same as everyone else because you are completely different, among those differences are your age, your gender and your sexual preference. Do you really want to be treated the same as a 30 year old, black straight male, which is the same treatment as (insert random stuff here)? No, you want to be treated uniquely, they way you feel you should be treated. *Which is how everyone wants and should be treated, uniquely. The first thing other people have to work with are visual and verbal clues, then as they get to know you if what you offer is appropriate they move closer, if it aint they move away.

Who you become and your choices reflect your desire for certain kind of treatment, such as whether you admit to being 57 IRL or not. Ya dig, my middle aged nigga?

if someone can explain why we cant call it a 'blackboard' anymore id love to hear the explanation

It's a bit like 'herstory' rather than 'history'...

Some people seem to be on the look out for what someone else may find offensive??? Where is the point? Who knows! Councils in particular love this sort of thing - that's where the idea of 'PC' springs from, but for the majority of people, they don't want to cause undue offence to others around them (although there will always be one gimp who loves to, but thankfully they only hang about together and tend to have few mates anyways!)...

Archived